How Important Are High Ratio Reels?

hottyscotty

I've got a nitro magnum butt sitting here doing nothing and without a reel. I think this rod will be perfect casting light to medium weight metals as it handles upto 40g lures.

How important is the ratio on a reel when chasing these species?

I'm only asking because from the fishing mags that i have show fishos holding a Shimano with a 6:1 ratio and hardly any Daiwas. It could be all just coincidence with the mags i have.

Do fishraiders have a lot of success on these fish with metals using Daiwa? I prefer them as they feel smoother and more solid. Thats just my opinion.

Your answers will basically determine what to buy next :biggrin2:

Edited by hottyscotty

Tailorman. ...those saltist 30th's are great..Love mine for spinning with.

Scotty, flat out retrieves for bonnies and sambos isnt needed. I prefer higher geared reels as you can slow down, but anything with 5.2:1 and up will do and make it easier. I used a shimano sienna 2500 for ages and that was 5.2:1 and was no probs. The saros is 5.7:1 and would work too. Not sure why daiwa dont have a small reel that has 5.7:1 and above. The saltist is quick and thats a 4000 size. I have a 4500 size daiwa that has a 5.3:1 ratio and no issues using it for high speed spinning.

G'day HottyScotty,

The ratio isn't the only thing that influences retrieve speed. The spool diameter is also important. On some reels now, you'll actually see a retrieve rate listed in cm per turn of the handle.

Diawa reels generally have lower gear ratios but wider spools than their counterpart Shimanos so the overall retrieve rates are hard to compare.

Cheers, Slinky

slinky: i've been reading up specs on both brands. but i thought it'll be easier just asking for ratio rather than the line retrieval rate. but on that note, shimano can wind back at least 10cm quicker than daiwa on the smaller reels. doesn't sound much but i wonder if the fish can notice that speed difference.

caranx: yea i wish daiwa would include higher ratios in the small reel range. i don't think i'll put a saltist on the magnum butt, it'll be off-balance