Fitting Flush Mounted Rodholders

Berleyguts

Hi,

I've done a fairly thorough search of Fishraider and can't seem to find the answer. I need more rodholders on my 4m Stacer alloy. I would like some additional flush mounted holders as I only have 2 - they are plastic and I would like to upgrade to stainless. However, both are immediately behind the Canon downrigger mounts and the plastic rodholder on the downrigger sits right over the flush mounted holder. So, I need a few extra as well.

I was just going to buy standard stainless flushmounts but how do I drill the holes in the gunwhale. I know this may seem like a stupid question - I have drilled circular holes with a hole saw before but I'm sure that rodholders require an elliptical hole. Am I right? How to drill?

I'll be looking at some new clamp on holders as well and also those multi holders that fit into existing flushmounts but at the moment I just want 2 or 4 more flush mounts.

Any tips please?

Thanks,

Baz

Hi,

I was just going to buy standard stainless flushmounts but how do I drill the holes in the gunwhale. I know this may seem like a stupid question - I have drilled circular holes with a hole saw before but I'm sure that rodholders require an elliptical hole. Am I right? How to drill?

Baz

Baz

The angle of the plate to the tube tends to give an optical elusion & suggests an elliptical hole is required.

Provided the hole saw is slightly larger (a few mm) than the tube on the rod holder then it will fit OK

Geoff

Baz, use an appropriately sized hole saw and when you start drilling the hole as soon as the actual drill bit is through, then tilt the drill over to about 45 degrees and continue drilling on that angle. You will then find that as the hole saw cuts it will end up as an eliptical shape. Job done and easy as.

If you don't have the correct hole saw I am quite happy to do it for you - live at Putney. PM me if you want a hand - take about 3 minutes for 3 holes.

Cheers, Russ.

Thanks guys,

I haven't ruled out Seriously Stainless, it's just that I'm thinking of DIY jobs when I'm on my break between Christmas & New Year, when most businesses shut down.

I like Geoff's optical illusion explanation. :) But I'll have some practice runs on some scrap metal using Tuffy's approach. Thanks for the offer Russ. I have a few hole saws but probably for wood. However, I need more for other projects so I'll see how I go at this stage.

Cheers,

Baz

baz all the advice given above is true and good advice

we clamp a steel plate to the boat on top off a rag[so there's no scraches]and use a magnetic roter broach

to get out off doing an elipse use a 60mm hole saw but i prefer a 50mm and as bergo said a die grinding bit to open up the hole for a neat fit

also use masking tap and mark out the holes on it and no paint will lift when drilling

were open from the 2nd off jan 2010

our rod holders are 3mm top and bottom flanges and are supplyed with gaskets and counter sunk bolts with nilock nuts,and for $50.00 buck a pop

cherrs gary bricknell 0438264377

baz all the advice given above is true and good advice

we clamp a steel plate to the boat on top off a rag[so there's no scraches]and use a magnetic roter broach

to get out off doing an elipse use a 60mm hole saw but i prefer a 50mm and as bergo said a die grinding bit to open up the hole for a neat fit

also use masking tap and mark out the holes on it and no paint will lift when drilling

were open from the 2nd off jan 2010

our rod holders are 3mm top and bottom flanges and are supplyed with gaskets and counter sunk bolts with nilock nuts,and for $50.00 buck a pop

cherrs gary bricknell 0438264377

May i pester you for a supply and fit price??

I guess they may vary from boat to boat but an estimate will do

CHeeRS

Ant