Coogee Last Week And Longreef Monday

Gorms

Fished Coogee last week with a mate. Downrigged some yakkas along the cliffs and around wedding cake island. No hook ups. Im still yet to get anything downrigging on my new boat. Im starting to wonder if it has anything to do with the bright red bombs that came with the scottys.

We bottom bashed for a while and caught between 30-50, 30cm flatties. Moved spots and again, 30cm flatties. Nevermind!

Moved spots and caught an unusual fish. A red gurnard came up after a good fight. We decided to let it go as we had no info on the fish. Guess it looked too pretty to keep. Ive attached a pic of what they look like incase someone is new to the fish aswell.

tough day at the office.

Went out to Longreef yesterday with the hopes of downrigging the wreck. Weather was terrible. Trawled 2 xrap rapalas and got a 55cm rat king. Also had a seargent baker take a lure which was pretty funny since it was just bigger than the lure. Tried to get some slimeys but no bait to be found. Punched the co-ordinates in for the wreck that they fished on a DVD and it showed up in New Zealand somewhere. Guess it was on the wrong Datum but i dont know how to convert it. Headed to a wreck, no bait there either, trawled the lures for no result.

Headed in and found a sandy patch and tried a few drifts. Bait hardly hit the bottom and we were on. Double hook ups, biggest flatty was 65cm. Got a snapper as well but went 25cm so back in the drink. Nothing like the ones in the other posts which im very envious of.

As much as i love my HDS5, i dont seem to be getting much out of it. I need someone to show me how to use it properly. I struggle to find reef or mark fish like they do on DVD's

One thing I was wrapped with is these new sea sickness tablets I've got from Caringbah. $20 for 10 capsules. Took one and in bad swell I felt like I was a 3rd generation deckie.

Looking forward to getting back out there soon

Cheers

Gorms

post-8018-1260868871_thumb.jpg

post-8018-1260868888_thumb.jpg

You look like you hit the spot! Well done on the feed and I believe the flatties from outside tatse better than the duskies from the rivers...can you vouch for that?

Yeah lovely tasting. Plus i feel healthier eating fish from deeper water. knowing there are no desal plants around makes you feel your eating fresh clean fish.

One funny thing that happened when catching these flatties= a mate of mine waterskies his fish in, just reels as quick as he can. its pretty funny to see. Anyway he reeled that fast his mate didnt have chance to get the net ready. When he got it to the top, the first big flatty for the day spat the hook, and was laying right on top of the water, not hooked to a line. Chris simply reached down with the net and scooped him up just as the flatty started to splash about. That was the turning point for the day.

Next cast he had 2 x 50cm flatties on the two hook rig. Great sight to see.