Vanuatu Trip

snag

• 3 weeks later...

Snag.

I lived there for 3 years in the late 90's and also was there in June 2009. I take it you will be staying in Port Vila on the main Island. Location/place you are staying ?

It is unusual because you usually cannot fish from the shore as it is "owned" by the custom owners. There are a lot of charters occuring, including locals. I will try and track down some contacts for you with a little more knowledge.

As for what you can catch, it's more like what don't you catch. Anything you catch in Cairns and around the tropics you will catch there offshore. They also have a couple of Fads as well. Last June I caught some Mahi Mahi, tuna, wahoo and coral trout. There was also marlin aplenty and a Vanuatu record was recorded on the day I went out about 5kms from the Fad.

Funny stroy. Back in 1998, we went out on a fishing comp, 36ft with flybridge. Crap fishing day. Over 5 hours we caught 1 barracuda (7kgs small) and tagged and released a COW we found floating 20kms offshore :lol: Lord knows how it got there and why it hadn't been eaten yet.

I will find out more soon. Let me know if you need any other info.

Flano

Did they supply the fishin gear or did you take your own?

All gear, lures, drinks etc were supplied - you just have to pay fro the trip. :D You can go in something like this.... or something I travelled out ~ 20kms to a FAD with guides

xm_fishing-heavytackle-boat4.jpg

FYI, I sent a message off to some friends in Vanuatu and waiting for a response. It should be in within a couple of days.

Flano

post-12088-1262725079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flano

All gear, lures, drinks etc were supplied - you just have to pay fro the trip. :D You can go in something like this.... or something I travelled out ~ 20kms to a FAD with guides

xm_fishing-heavytackle-boat4.jpg

FYI, I sent a message off to some friends in Vanuatu and waiting for a response. It should be in within a couple of days.

Flano

Thanks Flano,

Look forward to your responce...

Rizzo....lol. can i borrow them from you. :074:

Bennos.

I can't remember the charter name but it was the boys from Lelepa. They knew we lived there previously so we were out overall for about 5 hours. Only about an hour at the FAD due to the choppy weather (doesn't show well in the picture as the pitcures are on the protetected side). We also bottomed fished for some coral trout in close.

In hinesight, the long boat with a 40hp and low freeboard was fairly 'interesting' . At no time did I feel unsafe, but the boys found the FAD by instrinct - not GPS. These boys are good. The price was great and a lot less than the big flybridges. From memory, it was about $500 for the 4 of us, transfers, half day, a few drinks and nibbles, all gear. We booked it at the motel we stayed.

Flano

G`day Snag got back from Vila on monday top spot. The fishing charter boats are located at the front of the waterfront bar grass roofed building next to the Grand hotel. Also has ice cold Tusker beer.You get a better price by going to the boats instead of going through your hotel.They are boats for all budgets my wife and i went out on an 8 metre boat for 3 hours had all the good gear we trolled a spreed of 5 lures sadly we had a huge swell running and we got nothing but thats fishing and you take it as it comes. I will send you a PM with his name and phone number Cheers regards Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Snag,

I have sent a couple of messages to someone in Vanuatu but they have still not replied (apart from the 1st one to say about watching what type of fish to eat when you catch).

I will keep trying and let you know.

Cheers

Flano

my mate went down in early jan this year and last time he went he got a 82kg yellowfin tuna and 4 other smaller tuna this year they got 3 tuna and 5 BIG marlin

Now thats what im talking about, never caught a Marlin before :thumbup: but id be happy with one.

Flano ill wait to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys Monday im going and need numbers and names to call when i get there.

So far have got a few, including bad resturants, what not to do and so on.

Any more info would be good. :thumbup:

Ok guys Monday im going and need numbers and names to call when i get there.

So far have got a few, including bad resturants, what not to do and so on.

Any more info would be good. :thumbup:

G'day snag.

Head down to the Waterfront bar & grill of an evening for a beer. Ask for Charlie Wheeler.

He's the owner/skipper of Nevagivup. If you want to catch a big Blue Marlin then he's your man. :biggrin2:

I'll p.m you his e-mail addy.

Cheers,

Grant.

G'day snag.

Head down to the Waterfront bar & grill of an evening for a beer. Ask for Charlie Wheeler.

He's the owner/skipper of Nevagivup. If you want to catch a big Blue Marlin then he's your man. :biggrin2:

I'll p.m you his e-mail addy.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Grant left an email, waiting to hear back from them. :1fishing1: