Beginner Joins The Kingfish Family!

Brooker435

Hey Raiders,

Although I did not take a camera with me today nor did I bring home what I caught but feel the need to talk about it anyway!!!

I am absolutely pumped at the moment so here goes.

Decided on a quick session today after a phone call from a mate to meet up for a fish in the Parramatta River

I am sorry but he has asked me not to give specifics out for his spot but what I can tell you is that Its around the Gladesville area as I have sworn to secrecy.

Anyway with that out of the way I only had market squid on me as I have not had a chance to catch any fresh ones so I ran with what I had started fishing around 1pm and was just getting picks here and there but did manage to see a school of Kings swim right in front of me so I was happy about that as I have never seen them before only on this website and at fish shops.

I was up to my last strip of squid thinking that the sighting of the kings was going to be the closest that ill get to them then suddenly my rod goes straight down I grabbed it quickly trying everything to stay calm pump and wind pump and wind this thing was going nuts my heart was almost in my throat and was loving every moment of it thinking I've got my first Kingy and hes a beaut only to find after all that effort that he was only 60cms!!!!!! I was heart broken but knew what had to be done so I did it as quickly as I could after measuring it at least 4 times and found 2 other rigs stuck in his mouth tried to get them out but they were set very deep so I did not want to hurt this fellow so I cut them down and released him and boy did I cop some criticism for it but was very prowd none the less just wished I had a camera as then I would have something to remember!!! Guys & Gals I take my hat off to anyone that has landed one of these Land-based over 65 as they are powerhouses never In my life have I fought something of this nature pure muscle and cant wait to go back for more!!!! Cheering :thumbup::yahoo:

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year and I hope I can post a few more like this.....

Regards,

Nathan

Good onya Nathan, congrats on your first kingy, they do go hard and never give up.

Hope you get a slightly larger model to take home one day, and remember the camera

next outing.. :yahoo:

Thanks Ray!!!!! I was pretty upset to forget the camera hopefully the next time I get one I have a camera and hes the same size as yours!!!!!! nice photo by the way :thumbup:

Regards,

Nathan

Good on ya Nathan - congratulations on your first King.

Getting the first one is the hardest part but i'm sure there will be plenty more now! Hope you can get onto some bigger ones - you will certainly know when you hook a bigger one!

awesome nathan!! wait till you get a legal one!!

pete.

Thanks Pete....

Yeah I would not mind a legal but for entertainment they are probably the best thing that a land-based angler can hope for fight wise and a very nice looking fish also.

I am on holidays now so might have to go for a jewie bash with you just let me know if your keen.

Regards,

Nathan

Good on ya Nathan - congratulations on your first King.

Getting the first one is the hardest part but i'm sure there will be plenty more now! Hope you can get onto some bigger ones - you will certainly know when you hook a bigger one!

Thanks Jim...

Id hate to think how much grunt a 70-80cm model would have no matter what people say I feel that you do not know the sheer grunt of these until you hook one its like a swimming rock that's the only way I describe it but as I catch bigger models Ill learn much more about fighting decent fish......

Regards,

Nathan

Well down mate!!

Trust me when you catch a decent sized on you'll be hooked onto them!

What rig and line LB did you use??

Cheers, Zac

Hey Zac,

30lb Suffix Mono (Mainline)

ezy rig, 4 ounce snapper sinker then bead then swivel on 60lb leader and x2 snelled (Gamakatsu Octapus Hooks Sz 8)

probably a little on the heavy side but you always have to be prepared for the big stuff next time I want a 70cm model like what you got does not sound like much compared to 60cms but its feels like a long way away!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Wow what a great encounter and a great catch. Never would have thought that a kingy would show up at 1pm with sun blaring down in shallow waters upriver. Lucky catch :P . I'm pretty sure your next one won't be due to luck though. I'm guessing you are searching up everything there is to know about kings on fishraider right now :thumbup:

Hope your next kingy is of legal size, and I hope i can get my first one this summer as well !

Wow what a great encounter and a great catch. Never would have thought that a kingy would show up at 1pm with sun blaring down in shallow waters upriver. Lucky catch :P . I'm pretty sure your next one won't be due to luck though. I'm guessing you are searching up everything there is to know about kings on fishraider right now :thumbup:

Hope your next kingy is of legal size, and I hope i can get my first one this summer as well !

Monch I forgot to mention that I did not catch it till around 5pm and the water I was fishing was fairly deep and The first encounter happened around 1 and there was at least 4 of them together and they looked big so perhaps I got the runt out of the school hahahahaha but will keep trying for my legal one I know its bound to happen sooner or later.....

Regards,

Nathan

Congratulations Nathan, you finally scored your first yellowtail rocket :thumbup:

I still remember vividly catching my very first king last year and can imagine how great you must have felt when the effort paid off. Next time bring a camera and I reckon the big one will show up smelling the fame of being on your report up here :biggrin2: With a bit of luck you will not have any problem landing a good size king on your set up.

I am going out tomorrow morning fishing Botany Bay, hopefully will catch something decent for a nice report, caught 5 kings last week but they were all undersized.

Tight lines and screaming drags!

And Merry Christmas!

Ryan

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Well done Nathan. :thumbup: The naxt time take a portable gas cooker with you, fillet the king,( not cutlets) & cook straight away, don't use any thing to spiece it up only a little oil to stop it sticking & you will be eating one of the finest table fare in the land. Oh, one other thing when filleting the king take the skin off for a better taste and as a bonus you wont have to scale him.

Regards Jeff

Hi Nathan

congrats on popping the king virginity!!!! :yahoo: how ever it is one of those thing once you pop you can't stop thing hahahaha.

I have been following your fishing quests and have to say you have done very well lately scoring your first jewie a couple of weeks ago and now scoring your first king, doesn't matter what size the king is, legal or not a king is a king and to land it lb it is a great effort. I am looking forward to you post about that 70cm fish, keep at it and might bump into you on the water one day

Cheers,

Sz1

Edited by SZ1

If you're mates are telling you to keep undersize fish I suggest you give them a good talking to about size limits and exactly why they're there.

They were not my mates they were by standers one of them actually asked me if I could give it to him and I said No bud that's Illegal and after I threw it back they all threw their lines where I was hahahaha thinking that the kingy would hang around....

The mate that took me there didn't say much about it at all but if I saw him catch undersized Id be sure to make him release it...

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan

congrats on popping the king virginity!!!! :yahoo: how ever it is one of those thing once you pop you can't stop thing hahahaha.

I have been following your fishing quests and have to say you have done very well lately scoring your first jewie a couple of weeks ago and now scoring your first king, doesn't matter what size the king is, legal or not a king is a king and to land it lb it is a great effort. I am looking forward to you post about that 70cm fish, keep at it and might bump into you on the water one day

Cheers,

Sz1

Thanks SZ1 Ill be sure to keep posting!!! and ill keep putting the effort in and one day Ill get the results!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Your Not Wrong!!! Mike

The guy next to me was teaching his 3 sons how to fish and caught 3 bream biggest going 22cms at best and none of them looked like tarwhine which I believe can be taken at 20 tarwhine are rounded at the front where as your regular bream are pointed and the other thing seriously what will you get out of a bream under 30cms??? but as you said some people just don't care and you tell them and they just look at you funny..

It annoys me that people seem to forget that the Kingfish population was almost wiped out and if it was not for the rules put in place that people like me would not have had this awesome experience!!! and cant wait to go for more even if they are all undersized the adrenalin rush is enough for me!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

well done nathan!!!! couldnt wait to come out with me had to catch your first kingy before!!!! ahaha good to see u follow the rules and not take home a illegal fish like alot of people do..... ps i had a good weeknd to 6x rats all just under if u are free next week i may have a spare seat in my tinny for u i'll pm u soon!!

Your Not Wrong!!! Mike

The guy next to me was teaching his 3 sons how to fish and caught 3 bream biggest going 22cms at best and none of them looked like tarwhine which I believe can be taken at 20 tarwhine are rounded at the front where as your regular bream are pointed and the other thing seriously what will you get out of a bream under 30cms??? but as you said some people just don't care and you tell them and they just look at you funny..

It annoys me that people seem to forget that the Kingfish population was almost wiped out and if it was not for the rules put in place that people like me would not have had this awesome experience!!! and cant wait to go for more even if they are all undersized the adrenalin rush is enough for me!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

ive been told botany is goin to be full of fisheries officers these holidays at each boat ramp and on water cracking down on undersize fishing with heavy fines.

well done nathan!!!! couldnt wait to come out with me had to catch your first kingy before!!!! ahaha good to see u follow the rules and not take home a illegal fish like alot of people do..... ps i had a good weeknd to 6x rats all just under if u are free next week i may have a spare seat in my tinny for u i'll pm u soon!!

Im on holidays now so ready when you are mate.

Really appreciate it pm me for all the details and we will go from there...

Regards,

Nathan

Congrats mate on your first kingey. Bet you wont forget this experience in a hurry.

We shouldnt be congratulating people for doing the right thing - as it should be the norm. Regardless, good on ya for sticking to the rules and returning your catch.

Cheers,

Jeff