Bream On The Parra

fisherman1994

Hi guys,

We are in the middle of moving house to Newport at the moment, we move in just after the new year, so i havent really had much time to go fishing in the last few months. I decided to head out this morning with a friend of mine in search of some bream, but of course all my gear was in storage except for my little flickstick. We decided that bread would be the best option, as we'd never used it before and were keen to give it a try.

Hit the water at 6am and arriving at the first spot, armed with 3 loaves of bread, got into it straight away. a small bit out for berley and almost straight away there were swirls at the back of the boat. Floated some bread down the trail and immediatly we get a double hook up, pull in two nice bream 31 and 32cm. Continued to do this for an hour or so, landing about 7 bream each, all between 31 and 34cm.

Then decided to try the marina at cabarita, same again berleying bread then floating some unweighted bread on a tiny green hook. Yet again we had amazing results. The two of us managed another 15 bream in the next hour and a half, all between 32 and 38cm. Wow we thought, this bread works really well!

We decided to call it a day soon after, more than happy with our catch. Final tally was 29 bream and 15 mullet, all released. I'd say that we had a better trip today on bread than ive ever had on the plastics in the Parra.

Sorry theres no pics, i wasnt really expecting a great deal to come out of today, but boy was i wrong.

Things are really heating up in the Parra now, i will miss that waterway when i move, but at least then i'll have Pittwater to target some nice kings instead :1prop:

Cheers James

:1fishing1:

Hi guys,

We are in the middle of moving house to Newport at the moment, we move in just after the new year, so i havent really had much time to go fishing in the last few months. I decided to head out this morning with a friend of mine in search of some bream, but of course all my gear was in storage except for my little flickstick. We decided that bread would be the best option, as we'd never used it before and were keen to give it a try.

Hit the water at 6am and arriving at the first spot, armed with 3 loaves of bread, got into it straight away. a small bit out for berley and almost straight away there were swirls at the back of the boat. Floated some bread down the trail and immediatly we get a double hook up, pull in two nice bream 31 and 32cm. Continued to do this for an hour or so, landing about 7 bream each, all between 31 and 34cm.

Then decided to try the marina at cabarita, same again berleying bread then floating some unweighted bread on a tiny green hook. Yet again we had amazing results. The two of us managed another 15 bream in the next hour and a half, all between 32 and 38cm. Wow we thought, this bread works really well!

We decided to call it a day soon after, more than happy with our catch. Final tally was 29 bream and 15 mullet, all released. I'd say that we had a better trip today on bread than ive ever had on the plastics in the Parra.

Sorry theres no pics, i wasnt really expecting a great deal to come out of today, but boy was i wrong.

Things are really heating up in the Parra now, i will miss that waterway when i move, but at least then i'll have Pittwater to target some nice kings instead :1prop:

Cheers James

:1fishing1:

Wow - you've given me an idea !

That has always been a favourite bait amongst bream fishos. I have not used it in years so time to give it a go. That's a top catch of fish - must have been a real blast on the flick stick - it always happens with the camera doesn't it? Don't bring it and the fish will plague - bring it along and you catch plastic bags....

Well done...

Would've been a good session as they seem to fight better when using bread. You would have to release them though as isn't the Parra still badly pouluted with heavy metals?

Regards Jeff

Yeah that's right, i heard that its ok to eat the fish out of the river now, and i know a few people that do it, but im not that keen. I'm more than happy just to release them anyway, ive always just targeted fish in the parra for the sport, not the feed. I think things might change when i move up to pittwater though :1prop: