Jack Lives Here.... Somewhere!

slinkymalinky

The Tweed is firing... sort of. But learning to fish the Tweed river over the last few weeks has been a blast. Something a bit different by way of a report from today's session with Browndog2 though.

Lessons on the Tweed - Thursday 24/12/09

1. When a New South Welshman says "meet at the ramp at 4.30" it really means at 3.30 (QLD time) which means getting out of bed at 2am... :1badmood:

2. Fishing the rock wall at the back of Jewhunter's place while he has to stand on shore before brekkie and watch before going to work, is probably bad for my Fishraider membership status.

3. Expressing our sympathy to Jewhunter in true Fishraider style, probably doesn't help either.

4. Just because Atomic Prongs have done all the damage on every previous trip, doesn't mean they won't fail this trip.

5. But just because I bought a packet of 110mm Squidgie Flickbaits in 'Princess' colour as a bit of a joke, doesn't mean that they are banned from becoming my new favourite Tweed plastic (at least for now)

6. Just because I only lost 2 jig heads today while BrownDog lost about 4,987,564 doesn't mean I'm a heeeeeaps better fisherman than he is.

7. Just because I caught about about 20 flatties today... all bar 2 on the Princess... while BrownDog only caught 2, also doesn't mean I'm a heeeeeeaps better fisherman than he is. (for a long while it looked like he'd be going home without his pants).

post-6175-1261636245_thumb.jpg

8. Just because Jewhunter had to watch us fishing then go to work, doesn't mean that he's a total wussy loser.

9. Just because I ring Hodgey to tell him all about this awesome new 'secret' lure colour, doesn't mean he won't point out that I'm a zero not hero as it's the Squidgie version of Lime Tiger Gulps that he's been trying to tell me are a gun lure forever.

10. The best way to get a solid flatty hit in the Tweed is for me to say, "It looks like the Flatties have gone quiet"... worked every time today.

11. The best way to spook a bunch of Jewies smacking mullet schools around a particular channel is to drive a %^&%^& ski boat straight through the middle of them instead of using any of the 100m of river on the other side of where we're fishing. After missing a solid hit, BrownDog's eloquent finger expressed our Christmas wishes.

12. When the humidity and temperature suddenly spike in front of a storm, and the bait suddenly reappears in the river... it's play time on the Tweed even if the morning was previously quiet.

13. A new pb for the Tweed of 58cm isn't anything to brag about... but I'm going to anyway coz I'm happy, I'm easily pleased, and I have a big mouth (but not as big as the flatty... refer to proof below) :biggrin2:

post-6175-1261636271_thumb.jpgpost-6175-1261636259_thumb.jpg

and finally...

14. Not all Jacks shut up shop in the Tweed once the sun gets up... Some of them wait until an unsuspecting fisho picks up his 4lb braid outfit with only a 6lb leader; then slam the magic Princess; then lull you into a false sense of security after a torrid 10 minute fight and some nifty leccy work to get into clear water;

then wait until you've said to your fishing buddy "we don't have to rush, we've got all the time in the world";

then let you see his steroid bulked, stripey red, big shouldered 55 odd cm length; before making one last head rattling dive and pulling the (*&*(^^&*(^&*&77&**(&)&*!!!!!! hook. :1wallbash:

14a. But at least I'm getting closer to landing one of the Tweed's 'Red Devils'... and what a day! :thumbup:

Merry Christmas all, Slinky

2.00am wake up............ come on slinky harden up! You can either go to bed early or just simply dont go to bed at all and away you go :1prop:

Ski boats and jet ski's dont get me started about those waste of oxygen. I could think of nothing more boring than going backwards and forwards along the same stretch of water and achieving nothing, at least with fishing we sometimes get a result (catch a fish) :mad3:

Nice catch. Seems as though the new squidgy flick bait in princess might become your go to lure. What happened to your Anthrax lure and baby mullet??? :tease:

It seems as though your new electric is getting a real workout, do you think it has made a difference to your catch rate or too early to tell?

Your electric setup, does your engine charge the electric batteries on the run as well or do you simply plug in a charger at night?

Awesome post and very funny :Funny-Post:

I might have to hop on my :flying: and come and say hello with rod in hand lol

Stay safe and good health.

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse

:074::074: An entertaining read as always, Tony! You are getting soooo close to that elusive Jack now. Perhaps a landing net with a loooong handle will help? :biggrin2:

Keep at 'em mate; there is a jack in there with your name on it, and it's bound to be a beauty. 'Princess' flickbaits are perfect for you .... lime tigers without your despised Gulp scent ;) Congrats on the new Tweed PB too!

Cheers

Skip

It seems as though your new electric is getting a real workout, do you think it has made a difference to your catch rate or too early to tell?

Your electric setup, does your engine charge the electric batteries on the run as well or do you simply plug in a charger at night?

Rob

G'day Rob,

I think it's made a massive difference to my catch rate and even more to my enjoyment. It makes working likely areas a lot more productive...

I can crawl up a stretch of likely bank, fishing up-current so the lures come back with the current - into the faces of waiting fish. I can also methodically work the whole area without missing stretches while I have to fire up an outboard and reposition. And after only 2 sessions, I'm not having to think about the leccy... it's all done by feel and is really user friendly. I switch between using the foot control and the key chain remote constantly, depending on where I am in the boat.

The engine doesn't charge my deep cycle batteries. I've got an on-board charger and all I have to do is unplug the motor and plug the charger into an extension lead... which reminds me, I better go and do it now.

Have a great Christmas and if you're ever up this way, give me a hoy.

Cheers, Slinky

That was a top read mate!! Very funny. :074:

It was a beaut morning. Shame I had to work. :1badmood:

I was very impressed by your sympathy towards me. :1prop: I also loved the leccy donut you pulled out the back & the little girly squeal of delight whilst doing it! :074:

Well done on a top session mate. Jack can't be far away now.

Cheers,

Grant.

great read tony.i always look forward to reading your posts mate,always top notch & always gives me a few chuckles :074:

you'l get that jack soon slinky,& when you do,i bet it'l be worth all the effort & you'l forget about the hours you put in to land it.hope its a 50+cm model too.

merry xmas & happy new yr to you & your family.

cheers johnny. :beersmile:

hahaha LOVE IT Tony!!! :074::074: You should publish that as a Poster!!

You have summed it up very well - especially the 'time factor' .... one day, Qld will come out of the dark ages!!

Sounds like your Princess lures are a hit - shame the *#!*# Jack got off after such an epic fight!! Funny - I can only catch quality Jewies when using my bream gear too!! :wacko:

You need to add another 'quality lure' to your list - the Pagani Siglett with fur on its belly ..... SOOOO looks like the real thing!! A killer on bass (and hopefully bream!)

A very Merry Xmas to you & the family, Tony - hope you manage to play with your leccie again sometime during the day, too!

Cheerio

Roberta

Slinky that is a classic read. Nothing better than a good old sledge on your fishing mate :074::074:

Shame about the jack hey. Its funny how it works sometimes. My mate and I fish for them on the mid north coast.(actually I'm still fishing for them cause I havn't got one yet) But my mate has landed 3 fish now, all of them over three kilos and 60cms long. Would you believe the arsenal, a 2-4kg bream stick 4lb fire line and 4lb leader. Yet Dave Rae and Phil Atkinson are using 8kg rods with overheads loaded with 50lb for the same size fish and they are still getting smashed up. I think you were very unlucky not to land that fish. You'll get him next time.

Merry Christmas

Luke

very funny and entertaining read slinky! Ive never seen anyone so intent on catching the jack! No wonder grant would rather go to work than fish with you :074:

sounds like your new leccy is really getting a workout - hopefully it will pay divs and reward you with a jack real soon.

pete.

Hey Tony, mate what a read you put a lot into this one, sounds like it's gonna take some outings to sort this place out, but with your new toy I'm sure we will soon see some pics of a big jack in the net, nice flattie shots too.. :1fishing1::thumbup: