Xmas Day Yakkin' & Fishin' With Keith

arpie

Hi all

It was a warm, sunny day here in Forster yesterday, for Xmas Day, but we almost had gale force winds!! Keith & I packed a picnic Lunch & headed over to Tuncurry, near Ohma Bay & after enjoying our lunch, headed out in the yaks for a fish! I fished around the leases with topwater lures, getting plenty of solid hits but no hookups! :mad3: Keith normally lasts about 1/2hr before coming back, so I was surprised to see him disappearing into the distance ...... and figured I'd better follow him in case he got 'out of his depth' in the wind as the water was chopping up a lot & he was in my little Minnow. Whilst untangling a small birdsnest, I got swept onto the real shallows & had to pole myself out of it ..... and then hooked a nice little flattie along the weedbeds.

Keith, in the meantime was a speck in the distance, still! This was only his 2nd time fishing from the yak (first time was last Xmas Day, when he landed a very nice flattie!) Eventually he headed back my way & said that he had had a HUGE flattie on - it had nearly wrenched the rod from his hands! I had given him a 100mm Squidgy Fish Silver Fox (my fav lure for flatties up here.) He said that the fish towed him around a bit & had surging runs ...... when I gave the rod to him, the drag wasn't too tight - so it should have 'given' when the fish surged .... but I think he was holding the line a bit & alas, the fish got off! :( That was why he was out there for so long - he was trying to find that fish again ...... and the good news is that he didn't even get bored!!! We must have been out for well over 2hrs!! :thumbup:

The wind was a real pain, so I headed behind one of the islands & fished the shallows there, for a couple of small hits & still no hookups! A very Fishless Day for me! :mad3: But still fun!!

I like this idea of picnic lunches & yak fishing for XMas! :thumbup::yahoo:

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta,

I was wondering who might have gone out yesterday and you did come to mind. Sounds like Keith was almost bitten by the fishin addcition! My son gave me a wii bas fishing game so we have been having fun on that in lieu of the real thing. Happy Boxing Day!

Good to see you and Keith getting out in the Yaks together again Roberta :thumbup:... By peddling off into the distance in his own little world like that determined to get onto some big fish for himself, it looks like we might soon see Keith posting up the reports while you're running all over the place in the marathons ... :1yikes::biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

....we might soon see Keith posting up the reports while you're running all over the place in the marathons ......

hehehe I dont think so Byron!!! If he only fishes once a year, he can usually maintain his 100% fish record! That has now diminished to only 50%!!! The only time i got suckered into running a relay in NZ resulted in me not being able to walk for about 4 days! I promised myself .... NEVER AGAIN!!

Hey Rob - that WII Bass fishing game sounds fun!! Just what you need on wet & windy days!!

Just went out today over at the Keys & got busted off on my 'silly string' with a very nice bream on gulp shrimp! :( I had already loosened the drag & was about to loosen it again, when PING! GORN! Ne'er mind - I had lots of hits on surface lures too - sometimes you wonder how they manage to get a meal - they miss the hooks SO often!! I had one fish come back 4 & 5 times on 4 separate casts & it still didn't find the hooks!

Hope to get together with Chopper75 to have a go there too!! Weather is closing in a bit today tho - spitting all the way home & now I can only just make out Latitude Rock! :wacko:

Cheerio - hope everyone had a fun Boxing Day!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta