What Are Your Plans For January Raiders? I Need To List Some Keen Experienced Helpers

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders

I have decided not to go away to the far north coast & Queensland as my wife Shirley and I usually do in January...Apart from me still having back problems and by the way, I find that I just can't keep this from my friends on Fishraider - Shirley is now back in hospital again with an infection which has required a couple of further operational procedures all up not long after having tummy fat trimmed off about six weeks ago...This was something Shirl had been planning for a while now, but I had no idea that it would involve a two and a half hour operation and such a lenthy periods of hospitalisation afterwards as a result of complications associated with an infection.. That's the way things go I suppose...Fortunately the infection is now somewhat under control, but I don't think Shirley will be out of hospital for at least another week or so and we all have to just keep on soldiering on at some time or other.....

Back to fishing, things being as they are at this time of the year, I now find the need to make up a list of experienced members for future sessions who are keen to fish for jewfish and have sufficient time on their hands to do some ongoing Hawkesbury sessions in general starting off early in the New Year....

As far as my back is concerned, I would only need some assistance with carrying gear, launching and retrieving the boat, anchoring, running the electric motor when necessary, and winding in the downrigger bombs from time to time during the kingfish part of each session.. Apart from that sort of help I'll be able to do most other things to get me by without much assistance at all and I'll generally be just merrily fishing away as I usually do once I'm out there in my boat.....

I have managed to meet quite a few good people on Fishraider over the past couple of years, some of whom have become close family friends and we have fished together a few times in the past but it had to be a case of going out when they were available....I now need to get myself back into fishing again but need to keep pushing on thru these pains and go out fishing on a more regular basis from now on after having my back operated on which took place earlier this year.....

Actually, I plan to start my fishing again from this coming Saturday and fish the lower Hawkesbury from the very early morning on into the night hours.... I'll be going out in my boat with my long time friend George aka Cungee George and also everybody's friend Chris, aka Jewdreamer on Fishraider who I've met up with for a chat over coffee etc several times in the past year or so...

This Saturday's session will be my first outing in my own boat for almost a year now and it's been almost eight months since I fished the Hacking with John Dogtooth in the big punt..John is also a good fair dinkum bloke and a first class fisherman and most of you know of Dogtooth's ability from his many eye opening reports on Fishraider.. We had Cungee George with us on a night that I'm sure we'll never forget as fate had it that I happened to latch onto a monster of a shark that was impossible to stop and almost spooled my big Tica reel twice with 80lb line on it and that was a few days before having my back operation which was scheduled to take place in April of this year....

Recovery has been slow at best for me unfortunately and my walking is painfull and my leg pains can be pretty severe most of the time despite taking the non narcotic type pain medicines, and preferring to mainly wear a seven day pain patch and hang in there for as long as I can and take courses of anti inflammatories etc and my doctor tries out different combinations of pain killers and elimates some of the others, but nothing that we've tried so far can really break thru the pain when it becomes more severe...

So, in order to push on thru it I need someone who's keen on going out fishing on an ongoing basis, in fact I need as many members on the list that I can get....I really do need to get myself out of the house and do as much fishing as possible as even the effort involved can only assist my recovery further and help in taming the pain somewhat by just plodding on as much as I can for session after session, if only to keep using and educating the relevent muscles to become stronger and take over from the others that cause these pains that I get on movement.

The sessions I plan to do will all be in my well set up roomy Savage side console boat most of the time and will comprise of having three people fishing a couple of rods each or even four if necessary fishing two tides sessions in the Hawkesbury, which is the best river to fish by far over that length of time, whereas the Harbour, the Georges and the Hacking are night time propositions at best for catching jewfish.

Would be best to be on the water fishing just before daybreak if possible and take a good break at Patonga for couple of coffees and snacks some time in the mid afternoon as we usually do, or when the peckers come in and then go back out and fish on well into the night for our jewfish...

The sessions will generally always involve a game plan along the lines of the following and each session will involve doing something different but will generally vary in regard to changing locations more regularly on the day..

1- Order 3 kilos of arrow squid and pick up the arrows as soon as we get to Brooklyn which should be around 6am in the morning

2 - Drop out crab traps on the way towards the mouth of the Hawkesbury.

3- Fish for jewfish first off for an hour and a half or so just as the sun starts to show, drop out some big squid baits to attract attention....If no action on the big squid baits within in say 20 -30 minutes, we move elsewhere such as across the other side of the river or have a go at the other side of a point, or move in much closer in places such as Juno etc and along where the rocks come out and meet the sandy areas upriver from Flint and Steel Pt marker as far the mouth of Cowan and we'll also fish into the corners on both sides of the entrances into Cowan..

4- After that we start fishing for our live bait and squid around Pittwater or motor across the other side to the Palm beach side and try the area in between the wharfs till me get enough live bait.

5- We then spend the next half hour or so burleying a few spots and then go back and use our downriggers for the kingfish part of the session, with someone on board operating the Motorguide - After that there shouldn't be any further use for the electric, still we might see how a few runs around dark corner or see how the bluff around the front of Cowan goes in close on the day....

6- We then settle down into a jewfish session in spots that have deeper water behind them where baits and lures can also be fished in close to see if we can catch a few flathead...

7- Every time we settle in for a while we move the jew baits by slow jigging them a couple of metres or so every so often to relocate the baits and hope to attract attention of a decent fish in the vicinity at the same time otherwise we move elsewhere and so on...

8- When the peckers start biting we motor in and tie up at Patonga and spend some time having refreshments before we get back into jewfishing again

9- We then anchor in one of the best spots in the main river for decent size jewfish and the associated by-catch...if there happens to be too many eels around we might as well use the downriggers to raise the baits on a couple of the rods and just leave them out in the both corners of the boat.

10- If we do happen to fish on till daybreak, we drive up the the old highway and enjoy a hamburger and a coffee with old Howard, the eyes and ears on the Hawkesbury jew situation who is also everybody's friend and has been going home from his takeaway shop by boat for the last forty odd years or so..

Anyway Raiders, I would like to hear from my old friends as well as to what days they may be free over January and especially from other members, and particularly those members who may happen to live in the Campbelltown area or perhaps somewhere handy to the south western suburbs etc....

It would be good to hear from those members who may happen to have an older retired relative or a friend etc with sufficient time on their hands, people who are very keen to fish in a boat for jewfish and the associated take homes on a regular basis..

Let's just get ourselves out there fishing as much as we possibly can in 2010 Raiders :yahoo: let's just make more fishing our main New Year's resolution from now on :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

ill be more than happy to help you out, my name is abs and although im fairly new to fishraider i've been fishing since i was 4. im a self imployed landscaper/concretor who will not hesitate a take off a day or 2 or 3 or 4 etc...

for the fishing seen.

ill be honest i've never really fished the hawksbury, mainly sydney harbour or botany, but would love a new adventure. i am experianced in pittwater squid, have been there endless times squiding. i have my own boat so i know whats involved in launching and retrieving. and being a concretor im no stranger to manual work.

i live in abbotsbury which is just off cowpasture rd, bout 15mins from campbelltown on the M7.

if you would like to chat more call me on 0414 015 191 and we can talk some more.

ABS :thumbup:

Hi Byron

Sounds like a good idea -- I live in Sutherland Shire

Have my own boat & gear

I would be keen to have you show how to have a good fishing trip

as you have outlined

Need to know when - just contact me

Mob 0413 670 051

Thanks for the awsome opportunity Byron, once again you've proven to be a top fisho bloke! ...alright, enough buttering up (i really meant what i said though!) :D

I fish hawkesbury atleast once a fortnight, mainly on the weekends, in my 4m glass runabout, however never had the opportunity to hook a jewie! that is mainly due to my lack of boating exp and lack of knowledge of the hawkesbury system.. That is why I thanked you in the beginning for offerring some quality fishing time with you.

All that being said, I would LOVE to go out there with you and try my luck on jewies in hawkesbury. I am quite capable of helping you with launching, retrieving, carrying stuff etc.. as mentioned above, I am new to the whole boating thing but willing to learn new things and i am a fast learner!

I live in western suburbs but no worries i can travel to Campbelltown if required or to any boat ramp in the hawkesbury..

So there Byron, If you think I'd be any use, please send me a PM! :beersmile:

Cheers..

Ritchie

Thanks for the replies so far Raiders! I am very pleased about the number of the people who have contacted me even at this early stage, much appreciated fellows :thumbup: It will be good to put names to faces as they say and introduce members who have got to know one another fairly well on the site...

I have also received pms from a couple of our younger members and suggested that they pm a few other members who happen to own a boat perhaps and are prepared to take them out and show them the ropes, and perhaps we might get a chance to fish in close contact with one another and increase the chances...

Nevertheless, I still need quite a few more people so as to be able to get in as many Hawkesbury sessions as possible and I prefer to have 3 people onboard whenever we go out, as the more baits out at the same time, the better the overall chances for the boat....

Even then it would mean trying to work in only a couple of sessions per week, and maybe do 2 or 3 shorter sessions in gentlemen's hours more often say from 6am - 2pm during a particular week when fishing within that time frame would give us better tides or conditions for instance...Anyway, the way the Sydney area has been fishing so well, a solid 8 hours of fishing during daylight hours on the Hawkesbury would still allow plenty of time to get ourselves good results in general or even better...

On the other hand I would be just as happy to fish the lower Georges if that would suit members better, rather than those members having to travel up to the Hawkesbury and back again....Fishing the Georges would be a night time proposition and would mean starting off around 4 or 5pm or thereabouts with a low tide around the same time and a high around say 10 or 11pm... We could make an allowance to start a little earlier or even later so as to get the rollover of the top of the tide within the hours fished and then head for home around 1am... That is unless it's a weekend night and everyone is happier to fish on for a while instead of having to go home early.....

For the fishing I have in mind, I still need more people to look forward to having reasonably regular sessions, especially when there is always a chance that a much better looking day than the one planned is likely to come up a day or so later, and it's always handy to have more people in reserve to be able to get in touch with when necessary....

Cheers

Hi jewgaffer, Sorry to hear about Shirl I hope every thing comes right soon. I think that there would be plenty of raiders would jump at the chance to be part of your crew. I often put in at brooklyn & if your there & need a hand launching or retreiving your boat, then me & my boys would not hesitate to help out. Heres hoping that your recovery is quick & you get rid of the pain. All the best for 2010.

Regards Jeff

Hi Byron, I will come if you want me to with george on board along the georges river, the hawksbury can do at times.

I will be back from hollidays on the 18th january.

Hope Shirl is up and running soon.

and good to hear your back is a bit better.

regards Basil

Edited by Groper

Hi Byron, I will come if you want me to with george on board along the georges river, the hawksbury can do at times.

I will be back from hollidays on the 18th january.

Hope Shirl is up and running soon.

and good to hear your back is a bit better.

regards Basil

That will great thanks Basil ....Happy New Year to you mate and I think the way things are these days with all the hustle and bustle day in and day out just to put a bit of food on the table, I think everybody needs to take it easy every now and then and make a New Years resolution this year to put in as much time as they can into their fishing... A bit of time out fishing will make the rest of it come much easier...

Basil you know where George lives, so you should be able to get in touch sometime and arrange to pick him up and come up to my place to do one of a Hawkesburys ay...

By the way, thanks for the kind words about Shirley Basil and also about this back of mine..A few hard sessions might help me get along a bit better and I still need as many people as I can get to me motivated so that I can keep on plugging away at it regularly....

If any other members are interested in joining in and doing some Hawkesbury sessions as a preference let me know what days would suit best and we'll go from there... I'll be able to easily fish 3 people or even take a light weight along if necessary and make it 4 fishing all together... It's a case of the more good people on my boat the merrier as far as I'm concerned...

Cheers

Me and my uncle would be very keen, Tho im only 14 i can jump in the boat when back and wash it, When at the boat ramp if you like my uncle can launch the boat in the water and i can kick the motor over and pick you up from the jetty, i have my boat licence, and for retrieving the boat i can drive the boat to the trailer and my uncle can winche the boat up .. im very good at that now :) We have owned boats for years now and we know 100 % what to do there ! :)

We live around Liverpool so getting to Campbelltown isnt a problem

The only problem is we dont know anything about catching jewies .. I have 4 squid i caught in port hacking in the freezer that are a perfect size for jewies i would think.. We would listen to you. We have our own gear. Tho im not sure what is good for Jewies.. I Have has following

1 Shimano 700 Tekota Overhead - 30lb Braid

1 Shimano 4000D Baitrunner - 15lb Mono

1 Shimano 3500 Baitrunner

2 Shamano Charter Specials - 20lb Braid - 30lb Braid

I have heeps of mustart hooks, sinkers, black magic swivels etc etc

Which would you pick ? and what size rods ? sorry we are very very keen and will bring the gear you say,

We are very keen but just needa learn i few things, we are keen to catch a jewie but if we dont catch any we dont care cause its still great being on the water :)

I'll be going away from tomorrow for a week or 2 but will let you know when we get back ..

We can pay for fuel or buy bait and can help you out 100 % there but we just need a few tips with the fishing its self haha

Let us know if you are okay with this :)

Cheers

Me and my uncle would be very keen, Tho im only 14 i can jump in the boat when back and wash it, When at the boat ramp if you like my uncle can launch the boat in the water and i can kick the motor over and pick you up from the jetty, i have my boat licence, and for retrieving the boat i can drive the boat to the trailer and my uncle can winche the boat up .. im very good at that now :) We have owned boats for years now and we know 100 % what to do there ! :)

We live around Liverpool so getting to Campbelltown isnt a problem

The only problem is we dont know anything about catching jewies .. I have 4 squid i caught in port hacking in the freezer that are a perfect size for jewies i would think.. We would listen to you. We have our own gear. Tho im not sure what is good for Jewies.. I Have has following

1 Shimano 700 Tekota Overhead - 30lb Braid

1 Shimano 4000D Baitrunner - 15lb Mono

1 Shimano 3500 Baitrunner

2 Shamano Charter Specials - 20lb Braid - 30lb Braid

I have heeps of mustart hooks, sinkers, black magic swivels etc etc

Which would you pick ? and what size rods ? sorry we are very very keen and will bring the gear you say,

We are very keen but just needa learn i few things, we are keen to catch a jewie but if we dont catch any we dont care cause its still great being on the water :)

I'll be going away from tomorrow for a week or 2 but will let you know when we get back ..

We can pay for fuel or buy bait and can help you out 100 % there but we just need a few tips with the fishing its self haha

Let us know if you are okay with this :)

Cheers

That will terrific Cut Loose, in fact it will be quite ok :thumbup: ...I was hoping to get more replies from people out my way, and Liverpool is just perfect, it's close and handy to me anyway.. You're only 14 and Littlejewgaffer is 13 1/2, and that will be just perfect for him to have an opportunity to go along too... You'll have the whole bow area at the back of the side console plus your own bait bait board area and the use of half a dozen rod holders all to yourselves... in fact the only contact we will have will be by mobile phone and your phones will be in our glove box :lol:

Little jewgaffer knows what to do so as not to interfere with the other lines and we'll just make the hallway to the stern area no man's land :biggrin2: As your uncle would understand, it wouldn't be fair to the others in other sessions to have kids or immature learners on board...

As to the gear, no worries at all, we'll talk about that later. I think the Shimano charter specials would be good enough to up the braid a fair bit as would the 700 overhead, as it's pretty hard to suffer losing a good fish for any reason without identifying the fish...The Baitrunners would be just perfect for the bread and butter species and also for your bait and squid.

Send me your uncle's contact details in a pm cut loose and I'm sure we will be able to get something together to suit you and your uncle..

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Haha mate cant wait sounds like its gonna be a top trip :thumbup:

Me and my uncle can bring along some of these little guys if you would like ? we only have 4 atm but we can try to catch a few more, are they are good size and how many would we need ? or can we just buy them :1prop:

post-7089-1262317980_thumb.jpg

That will great thanks Basil ....Happy New Year to you mate and I think the way things are these days with all the hustle and bustle day in and day out just to put a bit of food on the table, I think everybody needs to take it easy every now and then and make a New Years resolution this year to put in as much time as they can into their fishing... A bit of time out fishing will make the rest of it come much easier...

Basil you know where George lives, so you should be able to get in touch sometime and arrange to pick him up and come up to my place to do one of a Hawkesburys ay...

By the way, thanks for the kind words about Shirley Basil and also about this back of mine..A few hard sessions might help me get along a bit better and I still need as many people as I can get to me motivated so that I can keep on plugging away at it regularly....

If any other members are interested in joining in and doing some Hawkesbury sessions as a preference let me know what days would suit best and we'll go from there... I'll be able to easily fish 3 people or even take a light weight along if necessary and make it 4 fishing all together... It's a case of the more good people on my boat the merrier as far as I'm concerned...

Cheers

Cheers Byron, I will be at seal rock tommorrow, quility time with my wife and two boys, then on the 10th I will be at hawks nest.

ps, know any good spots there.

regards Basil