Evinrude Etec

kinghightide

Hi,

I have a Evinrude Etec 75.

I have been away on work commitments for the past year, so I have just tried starting the engine to no avail.

The battery is fully charged, as you can tell by the voltage meter and the motor tilt is working.

When starting it starts cranking than it coughs.

Any ideas?

Hi, do not use year old fuel, disconnect the engine and fuel line at the fitting and drain the fuel out of the boats fuel system. A bit harder for the engine and being a sealed fuel system I would not get that worried about it. Here we have the proper tools to do this, but I doubt you would. Once the boat fuel supply is empty fill with premium fuel and take it easy for the first 10 minutes or so when you put her back in the water. I also hope you have a water seperating fuel filter and if so replace the element. If not get yourself one ASAP.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

:074::074:

Sorry, this post is funny coz my brother in law spent hours over christmas using his foot on the fuel bulb to pump out nearly 200 litres of fuel which had sat in my boat too long. Foolish me had refuelled after a run & then for various reasons couldn't get out in her again for months. No chances on tired fuel, get rid of it anyway you can.

Hi, do not use year old fuel, disconnect the engine and fuel line at the fitting and drain the fuel out of the boats fuel system. A bit harder for the engine and being a sealed fuel system I would not get that worried about it. Here we have the proper tools to do this, but I doubt you would. Once the boat fuel supply is empty fill with premium fuel and take it easy for the first 10 minutes or so when you put her back in the water. I also hope you have a water seperating fuel filter and if so replace the element. If not get yourself one ASAP.

Cheers,

Huey.

Gday Huey quick question mate my local Etec dealer advised me to use premium only in my 90 etec i see you recommend that to but all other people i speak to tell me standard unleaded and that premium will damage it, is thereany negative apects to using standard fuel in a etec?

Hi Jack, any E-TEC can happily run on a minimum of 87 octane. If you want to you can use premium and will not cause any damage. E-TEC are designed to run on even E10, but your boats fuel system might not be able to cope with it and due to problems with ethanol attracting water DO NOT use E10. I run my 225 "HO" on standard fuel from a busy servo and I replace the on board water seperating fuel filter yearly and have the racor style with sight bowl in the bottom.

Cheers,

Huey.