Sydney Harbour Newyear Day First Ever Jew Fish

Simda

Hi All

post-7430-1262382276_thumb.jpg

Started at 2pm

Took some freinds out to chase some Kings. Went to get some Squid, First cast the line tangled and while i was fixing it a squid took the jig. pulled it in by hand and it fell off on the back of the the transom. Dam When :ranting2:

Lost another 2 before geting a really small one. My freinds kids were getting bored so I thourght we we would try for a king with our 1 bait

Went to a mark and put the Live Squid down. About 15 seconds later the Rod Buckled but no hookup and our bait was gone :05:

Decided to get some yakkers, Managed to get 7 before my sole Yakka hook broke. Some were pretty big so I was not very hopfull as i find the kings like the smallers ones

5.15pm Headed to one of the harbour Marks and put the largest live down while I organised the other rods. to be honest I just thourght might as well startb with this one while i was busy, did not think anything would take it.

the Rod tip started to bend. A little to start with, then more and more :wacko: Im Confused, Why is the line not running. A king big enough to take this bait should have almost spooled me by now. The fish was powerful and fighting but not running.

Now I am very confused, Is my Drag Ceased or Locked? I stop to see if I can pull some of as I was worried the line would break. Seams ok. Continue to bring the fish in and then the Silver boad comes up. :1yikes: Holy Sh*t its a Jew Fish :thumbup:

My freind Grabs the net, and a moment later I have Caught my first every Jew Fish 73 -74cm.

Ok as Jew Fish go its not huge but its the Best fish I have ever caught and i have been dreaming about Catching a jew Fish for 30 years so. We were so excited that you would have heard the screams a mile away

Tried anothe few spots on the way home and lost 2 more kings that hit the yakkers

What a way to start 2010. I thinks its going to be a very good year

Happy Newyear

Dave

Well done Dave!! A terrific report & well deserved Jewie!!

Shame the Kingies didn't read the script, but you had some excitement there, with big hits too - next time you'll get the kingies, I reckon! Stick with it!

ROberta

Great fish.

Just returned from Qld. Would you believe a fish such as this is not a legal capture up there? Legal length is 75cm!

Also strange, sand whiting and bream only need to be 23 cm (changing however to 25 on 1 March 2010).

Flathead over 95cm must be returned to the water.