Finally A Keeper

humesy

It was a rather dusty start to 2010. By 5.00 in the arvo, I'd had enough moping and decided to hook up the trailer on the spur of the moment. Spoke to Kingslayer Dave and followed a good tip for some quick livies, including 1 slimie.

Arrived at a deserted and beautifully calm North Head at about 7.00 and let Mr.Slimie down to the depths behind the downrigger bomb. Had a good feeling he wouldn't be around for long and sure enough the rod tip was bent to the water after 5 minutes. He gave a few good runs and was boated reasonably smoothly for a single-handed effort. Went 80cm.

post-1006-1262392794_thumb.jpg

My next effort was less competent and another keeper sized kingy was lost on the downrigger wire. Boated another rat shortly afterwards.

Another boat or two came by and we swapped broad grins at being out in being out in such great conditions with the fish on the chew. I wish I'd had my camera as there was also one of the best sunsets over the city I've ever seen.

Came in after dark and tried for a jewie with no luck.

Anyway, it was very satisfying to have pulled a nice fish, having put a lot of thought, effort and not to mention $$$$ into a set-up. I particularly enjoyed bending the 10-15kg live fibre stick for the first time on a kingie, tightening the drag and dictating the terms. I know it could take plenty more than this fish gave it so bring on a hoodlum.

Happy days

Nice work Andrew!!

That live fibre will handle a hoodie no worries at all bud, what reel did you end up matching it with?

G'day Anthony? (sorry, I hope I got that right).

That rod is a weapon. Put a Saltist 50 on it spooled with 65lb braid.

Cheers mate

G'day Anthony? (sorry, I hope I got that right).

That rod is a weapon. Put a Saltist 50 on it spooled with 65lb braid.

Cheers mate

Yeah mate thats right, nice match to that rod, there wont be much you cant stop with that combo, best of luck.