Braid Or Mono

Grantm

Hi all,

After me and a mate tangled with a Jewie on the weekend it prompted us to look at out gear as we want to get into this a bit more.

My question is which is best for this type of application on our larger overhead reels. My Okuma Convector is currently rigged with 15 kg braid, but ive heard im better off with mono for Jewie fishing and also its better for trolling with. Is this right or is braid the go at this line class. Whats the difference here with the big stuff.

Cheers :thumbup:

Far from being an expert Grant, I use 10kg and 25kg braid for bottom bashing for jews and trolling for kings and it has performed extremely well. I think the thinner line diametre makes it easier to fish deep but as I said I am not an expert. Greg J has his serious jew gear packed with HEAVY braid so he would be your best example to go from i guess. I would think it is a preference thing but like yourself would be interested to hear if mono does have an advantage for these purposes. One thing I guess is to have a reasonable/correct rod cause the braid gives nothing and with a heavy drag setting everything has to be tough. last time I was out my tekota got ripped out of the reel seat of a 6kg rod and I fought the fish trying to hold the reel in place.

Braid is good for fishing baits in deep water, you feel every bite down there. I'm not a huge fan of it when trolling as it can result it pulled hooks alot, nor am I a fan of it for all species. But I think it suits jew fishing in and around the bays and rivers quite well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jewel

For your dedicated troll gear, beakies, tuna etc mono is much more forgiving and less likely to pull hooks. For deep bottom bashing the only choice is braid!! Braid on most other gear works fine, but it does come down to matching your gear eg. try a very fast taper rod with braid sometime...... makes your life hard! As always personal preference plays a part too.

Yeh, the main difference between braid and mono is the diametre, and the fact that braid does not stretch... Deep water fishing/jigging you basically REQUIRE braid as over that much distance the mono stretches a long way and you wont feel the slight touches anywhere near as much as braid...

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that I am reverting back to mono more and more with one exception,that is when I am fishing in deep water or drifting ,the lack of stretch let alone the diameter is great for that same reason,however start casting any where near birds when they are feeding or trolling and you have one fly into your line and you are in the crap very quickly.Because it is so supple it just loops around there feathers and quite often the only way out is with a knife.

The lack of stretch is something that is very unforgiving and it is responsible for snapping more rods then car doors.Carbon rods + braid = snappage.Admittedly there is the idiot factor in this but having witnessed five rods go including a irreplacable sabre I only use it for special stuff like bait fishing in deep water.