Lures Vs. Bait

patchy

Hey guys, once again i have another noob question, sorry about it:). i always hear people talking about lures/soft plastics, and i would like to know exactly what they are. also wether it is better to use lures or bait. thank you in advance.

hey mate

one isnt really better then the other, its really just a different type of fishing, Bait fishing is good if you want to be able to set a rod or two and relax and wait (mind you its not all just sitting back no work and relaxing) and lure fishing is good if you want to do some work, personally i like using soft plastics or lures because it gives me something to do, rather then sitting back and not doing much.

hey mate

one isnt really better then the other, its really just a different type of fishing, Bait fishing is good if you want to be able to set a rod or two and relax and wait (mind you its not all just sitting back no work and relaxing) and lure fishing is good if you want to do some work, personally i like using soft plastics or lures because it gives me something to do, rather then sitting back and not doing much.

do u have to keep the soft plastics moving? how long do the soft plastics last, do u have to put a new one on after every catch?

there is many different techniques you can use for soft plastics and it all depends on what works on the day, the one i use mostly is to cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and wait for a few seconds, give my rod a flick upwards, reel in the slack and let the softy sink again. rinse and repeat that until i get to the boat or land. i use that to fish for flathead or bream, there is so many different techniques you can use though.

depending on the brand soft plastics normally last for a few fish caught on them, if your use a brand like Berkley Gulp then aslong as you place them back into the packet when your finished then they keep well.

Not sure if you have seen the Berkley Gulp packets but they come with a fair few lures of the same type in one packet, so losing them really isnt a probelm and they are only like 10 bucks a packet, the packets have like a zip lock on the top and make sure you do the zip lock up after you use them or the juices dry up and they become useless.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Cory

also incase you havent seen them you need to buy jig heads to match the plastic you buy, they have different hook sizes, and different weights and even different designs, i found this the hardest thing to over come when i started and also putting them onto the jighead isnt to easy when you start.

What sort of fish are you fishing for and what type of area? im sure someone here can give you an idea of what size jigheads to use with what soft plastics your going to use.

there is many different techniques you can use for soft plastics and it all depends on what works on the day, the one i use mostly is to cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and wait for a few seconds, give my rod a flick upwards, reel in the slack and let the softy sink again. rinse and repeat that until i get to the boat or land. i use that to fish for flathead or bream, there is so many different techniques you can use though.

depending on the brand soft plastics normally last for a few fish caught on them, if your use a brand like Berkley Gulp then aslong as you place them back into the packet when your finished then they keep well.

Not sure if you have seen the Berkley Gulp packets but they come with a fair few lures of the same type in one packet, so losing them really isnt a probelm and they are only like 10 bucks a packet, the packets have like a zip lock on the top and make sure you do the zip lock up after you use them or the juices dry up and they become useless.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Cory

also incase you havent seen them you need to buy jig heads to match the plastic you buy, they have different hook sizes, and different weights and even different designs, i found this the hardest thing to over come when i started and also putting them onto the jighead isnt to easy when you start.

What sort of fish are you fishing for and what type of area? im sure someone here can give you an idea of what size jigheads to use with what soft plastics your going to use.

well im really just an amatuer hoping to get better at fishing, im usually fishing off a wharf but sometimes off a boat if i go out with friends, i havnt gotten serious enough to fish for one specific fish at a time, hopefully soon i will. but mostly bream, whiting, flatheads...the basics i guess.

also would i need a new rod or reel, like are there specific types of rods or reels used for soft plastics? thanks again bud.

Edited by patchy

well for what your doing i would got for a 3" fish type soft plastic, but thats just my guess, there would be so many different things you could use and everyone would have their own opinion on that.

as for rod and reel you can just use a light rod with a small reel and some lighter type line, if you have alrdy got it then i wouldnt go rushing out to buy a new set up unless you enjoy the soft plastic fishing and start getting into it.

my setup is

Rod - Berkley Dropshot Tournament Pro IM7 7'2" 2-4Kg Spin

Reel - Abu Garcia Cardinal 802

Line - 4Lb berkley fireline crystal (a braided type line)

but you could go for something much cheaper as a starting out rig, ill PM you a few things, the only probelm is the light that you want to use, do you know how to use braided lines or would you rather stick with regular mono?

Cheers

Sorry didn't know about the articles section, will have a look there from now on if i have any queries:)

well for what your doing i would got for a 3" fish type soft plastic, but thats just my guess, there would be so many different things you could use and everyone would have their own opinion on that.

as for rod and reel you can just use a light rod with a small reel and some lighter type line, if you have alrdy got it then i wouldnt go rushing out to buy a new set up unless you enjoy the soft plastic fishing and start getting into it.

my setup is

Rod - Berkley Dropshot Tournament Pro IM7 7'2" 2-4Kg Spin

Reel - Abu Garcia Cardinal 802

Line - 4Lb berkley fireline crystal (a braided type line)

but you could go for something much cheaper as a starting out rig, ill PM you a few things, the only probelm is the light that you want to use, do you know how to use braided lines or would you rather stick with regular mono?

Cheers

I currently have a Topaz 2-5KG rod, 7 foot. its pretty light i would say, and as for my reel im not sure i would have to look at it. thanks for the info mate:)

If you can get gun bait(like yabbie, squid or other live bait), they are much better than SP when fishes are there. Most time I put the rod on the holder with bait and play a rod with SP or squid jig on hand. That makes me always so busy and have more chances on the other rods.

Hi I like lures because you dont have to worry about smelly bait, I find I can travel lighter, possibly cheaper overall. Also I dont tend to catch nusiance species like eels, catfish, toads etc. However I have to agree with Seager on average good super fresh bait will usually out-fish lures.

Cheers, Langa