Overseas Travel Fishing Gear On Planes

mrsswordfisherman

Hi All,

Intending to travel to Indonesia and take some fishing gear.

A 2 piece rod 1.15m biggest piece inside a tube

A spooled reel

Metal jigs x 3

Can anyone tell me if these items can be taken on the plane as hand luggage. I believe spooled reels have to be inside the main luggage??

Is there anything we need to know or any problems we may encounter?

Thanks in advance

mrsswordie

Hello

Within Australia when I've flown I've taken a rod in a tube as onboard luggage leaving Sydney.

Leaving Gold Coast I was not allowed to take the rod onboard and had to check it in as they said it was a weapon?

Just to confuse things!

Ash

I would leave jigs out of carry on to be safe. Long thing and metal, they will slow you up through xray and then they may not let you take them on. No hooks or line line allowed on carry on either.

Rods...not sure - depends on your airline, ring in advance and check. Mine, even the short ones have gone in luggage not carry on.

Hi Mrs swordie,

as you know , I have just returned from NZ doing a fair bit of fishing.

What i found was that things like rods had to be checked in as oversize or fragile luggage, but reels and tackle were in my suitcase. Main thing you have to do is make sure they are clean and............DECLARE THEM!!!.

As soon as you declare and they realise you are responsible,,, they are fine. Especially on return.

Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mrs swordie,

as you know , I have just returned from NZ doing a fair bit of fishing.

What i found was that things like rods had to be checked in as oversize or fragile luggage, but reels and tackle were in my suitcase. Main thing you have to do is make sure they are clean and............DECLARE THEM!!!.

As soon as you declare and they realise you are responsible,,, they are fine. Especially on return.

Dave

[/quote

sorry of topic, but they ar edead keen on Bio Security at the airport for didymo but when they take tour busses all ove the sout hisland theres these people in trampin boots crossing streams then don't clean them and they are on another stream the next day or the north island! Theres no consistency!

by the way I have always had to check my rods in as oversize!

Hi All,

Intending to travel to Indonesia and take some fishing gear.

A 2 piece rod 1.15m biggest piece inside a tube

A spooled reel

Metal jigs x 3

Can anyone tell me if these items can be taken on the plane as hand luggage. I believe spooled reels have to be inside the main luggage??

Is there anything we need to know or any problems we may encounter?

Thanks in advance

mrsswordie

I doubt that you'd get the rod tube on as hand luggage. I carted a rod tube to many countries when backpacking in teh 80s and always had to check it. Not use about the spooled reel - are they concerned that the line could be used as a garotte? I guess in today's increased security, metal jigs coudl be considered wweapons, too?

I'd just check the lot... just be sure they are locked/secured... although you can't fit as much dope in a rod tube as you can in a boogy board bag! :)

Baz

Hello Mrsswordie,

As carry on i have taken small rods in tubes, ie 4 peice fly rods. For large rods in tubes it is worth checking the max length restrictions with the airline first. I have never had any problems (my large tube is 210 cm but mates with smaller tubes have had issues).

Reels are also fine as carry on however sometimes they check for hooks. All other terminal tackle lures, pliers etc i check in my suitcase. The key is make sure your wash/clean your gear and as Welsh Dave said declare it when coming back into Australia.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Although i am late with my reply but thought i will comment on my findings as well, i take some rod with me everytime i go on holidays in Oz and i just came back from Perth from a jigging trip. This is what i have always done:

Rod in rod tube (just becarefull as i have issues with the larger 2.1m tubes as well and at one stage they were considering not taking them, i soon changed this to a 1.80 and have had no problems. Although the trouble was with Jetstar where as quantas and virgin has always been good, the best thing is to call prior to travel to check)

Reel, i have always carried with my on carry on in a back pack, when i leave sydney i always un spool my reel, i have always had interest from the xray people but once they see the reel they are fine with it. (however when comming home from Perth i just leave the line one the spool and they have no problems, i think this is just a myth of mine that sydney is alot more stricked)

Terminal, lures and tools always stay in check baggage.

If travelling overseas declaring them would be highly recommended or we might see some raider on broader security ahahaha.

Cheers,

Sz1

The problem these days is the person who serves you may have a different interpretation of the rules

and some airlines have different rules.

What is a possible option is to forward your gear in advance to where you are staying.

pre arrange this of course.

Again there are +`s and minus`s in this as well.

I use to do it that way but it was some 20 years ago and had no trouble but today as you know is a lot different.

IT was the best way when travelling in Australia to send your tackle by courier

Have a great holiday.

I always put my reels in my hand luggage when traveling, along with my camera and any other valuable eletronics. Bags go missing all the time, stuff disapears. Cant take hooks or lures though.

Have also taken a 2-4 kg 2 piece rod as hand lugage on a domestic flight as I didnt have any safe way of storing it. Light weight PVC is the best for other rods. Tape them shut so they are tamper proof.

Took the rods to the states stewy in a similar rod holder to yours and on the trip back they didnt cut the lock but the clip that the lock goes in.....big pain in the a@@ and unusable now so be careful. :thumbdown: