Charter Spec Clicker Playing Up

Hi guys,

the other day the clicker on my charter special 2000 started playing up. it more or less dissappears so I can't hear the drag running. It's making no noise at all when the drag runs or I pull line out, and occasionally starts to sound after after a few winds with the clicker on when I'm pulling a bait in. I took it apart v. v. briefly and the mechanism that makes the click seemed fine.

Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas? Sure it's an easy fix (I hope!)

It's a well maintained reel, hasn't been used alot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nic

OK Nic, here goes.

I've just partially stripped down my own Charter Special (it's a TR1000LD but the clicker is basically the same principle on all the models).

post-6175-1262675859_thumb.jpg

The problem will be with the clicker assembly that is located inside the left side frame.

Pulling this reel down like this is pretty straightforward BUT if you're not confident or handy with a screwdriver, give it to someone else to look at. There's nothing worse than reassembling a reel and having parts left over or finding something doesn't work once you've finished.

Anyway,

Step 1 is to remove the drag lever assembly and then the drag quadrant. (If you've got a star drag model you won't need to worry about this of course)

post-6175-1262675867_thumb.jpg

Step 2 is to take out the 5 screws holding the right side plate assembly and remove it as a unit.

post-6175-1262675879_thumb.jpg

Step 3 is to simply remove the spool. I use a rubber band to keep the line tidy but remember to either remove it or snip it off with scissors after you reassemble the reel.

post-6175-1262675899_thumb.jpg

Step 4... here you can see inside the left side of the reel frame. I've pointed out the clicker assembly (in the 'engaged' position)

post-6175-1262675910_thumb.jpg

and if you then look at the left side of the spool you'll see the gear that it engages to make the sound.

post-6175-1262675930_thumb.jpg

and here's the clicker assembly in the 'disengaged' position so you can maybe get a better sense of how it works.

post-6175-1262675920_thumb.jpg

You won't know the exact problem until you have a look at the assembly but it could be anything from needing to be lubed, to having a broken part that needs replacing. If you can look at it and see how it should work, you should be able to see what's wrong and then fix it.

Hope this helps, Slinky

PS... you'll notice in the pics that I strip down the reel on a white towel and keep all the parts in the same order and orientation that they were removed. Both these habits can save you a lot of heart-ache

Slinky!!! You legend! Thanks mate I really appreciate the effort you went to, seriosuly thanks!

I'll check it out tomorrow night just wanted to get an idea of what I was looking for before I tore her down, havn't fiddled alot with overheads. I didn't have the time the other day but a mate assured me it was actually the other side I should've been looking at - this approach didn't help haha.

I feel like I should buy you some beers or something!

Thanks again. Framedtrash too.

nic

That is fantastic Tony. We need to keep these posts where everyone can refer back to them.

mrsswordie

Thanks MrsS,

If you like, whenever I do any kind of servicing to a reel I can take pix. Next time I see you on MSN I'll have a chat and you can let me know what to do with some posts if you like.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks MrsS,

If you like, whenever I do any kind of servicing to a reel I can take pix. Next time I see you on MSN I'll have a chat and you can let me know what to do with some posts if you like.

Cheers, Slinky

Yes Tony that would be excellent and we can make a library of these very descriptive and helpful posts.

mrsswordie