Skeeter Sx170

squidboy

Anyone own a Skeeter SX170? I just wanted to know whether the E-tec 90 would be sufficient and how well these boats really handle. I fish the colours sometimes so I am really interested if they handle well just outside the heads.

Cheers Raiders

Anyone own a Skeeter SX170? I just wanted to know whether the E-tec 90 would be sufficient and how well these boats really handle. I fish the colours sometimes so I am really interested if they handle well just outside the heads.

Cheers Raiders

A 90hp is sufficient but if you had the choice you would go to a 115hp..just get you up on the plane that bit quicker particularly with couple of people and good load.

As for outside like any boat you need to pick your days. Remember you are in low boat...it would handle a reasonable mess but you would probably get a bit wet. You would have to "drive" it thru as opposed to sitting at 4000rpm and bashing thru like you might do with a Haines or Cruisecraft cab type boat.

Cheers

C

Edited by chrisg

Hi, I have been in a few and they are well made boats, a little low in freeboard for rough water in my opinion. As for the outboard the 90HP E-TEC is a fine engine, but I would think underpowered once all the gear is in the boat. You will need to prop down to stay within the ideal 5000-5200 revs at WOT and therefore top speed will suffer. The 115HP has ALOT more grunt and what I would fit is the 115HP "HO" with a Rogue 4 blade prop and that way you do not get a more powerful engine (I do not care what brand you compare to) than the "HO" E-TEC and the fact that the warranty and service intervals are the best in the industry is another bonus. Also contact me and as a Raider we have some good prices on the "HO" and with the cash back at present no better time to buy and Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good idea mate, but to be honest a 90HP E-TEC will need to be doing about 4000 RPM to cruise at a good speed on that hull no matter what the water conditions are. Do youself a favour and check out the Evinrude webiste and they have performance reports on the 90 and 115HP usually on the same hull (and most of the time that is a bass boat). You will see the extra performance and if driven sensible beeter economy going to the V4. Then see what the "HO"does over the STD V4-it is what I would fit and as mentioned we have some good prices on stock 2010 "HO"E-TEC.

Cheers,

Huey.

Squid boy

The SX170 goes well with the 90 etec.You wont have a problem with it even with all your gear in it with 2 people and live wells full.If you want max speed the 3 blade is the better option. This is coming from BRP themselves as they have tested every skeeter with all their props available to them.You will get a better hole shot with the 4 blade but will lose in max speed. If you wont more info on any skeeter give me a pm or i can give you the dealers number and you can get the right info from him. Speed wise with the 90 etec you would be looking at about 40 to 45mph with the 115 Ho you will see 50 to 55mph

I have owned 2 skeeters now and they are a awesome boat.

Also one of the shimano guys regulary goes out from the hacking chasing blue water fish and has even hooked a marlin from his SX170 ( photos to prove ). He is also selling a SX170 with a 90 etec atm that he won at the recent bream classic .Myself i have had mine out at longy but you do have to pick your days thats for sure. In the USA where the boats are built their water ways regulary see 5 to 6ft wind waves in their dams and they still fish out of them in the bass tournaments.

good luck

Rich

It doesn't really matter on the application, but generally speaking a bigger motor that isn't working hard to do the job will be more efficient than a small motor that has to be screwed to do the same amount of work.

Also, it's good to have a bit of power in reserve for the times you may need it. It's better to have too much power and not use it all, than to have less power that isn't enough when you really need it.

That's just my opinion anyway...