Poddy Mullet

driftwood

hi raiders

just woundering the best ways to catch poddy mullet

thanks driftwood

I would prefer catching them by hook as they arnt that hard to catch. Just use the tiniest hook you can find and those trout hooks are realli good and a tiny piece of bread.

Otherwise you could set traps either fish traps or make ur own poddy traps with a milk bottle

Driftwood, the trick for me is to spot them first, then you can trap them. If I cant see them, it doesnt seem to matter if I come back in half an hour. Just chuck a few small pieces of bread in, if none show in 2 minutes, move on to another spot, maybe only 50 metres away.

Good luck, they are worth getting,

The Poacher

If you are going to use a trap I find that you need your bread to be as small as possible. Dont put large pieces in as but rip it up really small.

Dave

Edit

And the best spot in Sydney is the small creek opposite my Grandfathers.

Edited by davemmm

The way I did it today and It worked real well was.

about 1'2 a cup of sand and one slice of bread mushed up very finely so that when you position the trap it disburses out a little and a little bit of bread on top near the trap but I have been told to only leave it for 10 mins and change spots as the poddies will travel in Schools mostly and move around quite allot.

I do not think there is a set way of doing this but its almost like catching squid everyone has their own secret weapon just use this info as a guide and you will be ok.... but if you need any more help just send me a PM.

Regards,

Nathan

I pretty much use the above techniques but I usually use a small handful of breadcrumbs in the trap. Once you've placed it on the bottom give it a quick shake to disturb the crumbs and make a "cloud" in the trap. It's fine if some of them come out as it gives the fish a path of food to follow in :).

I've found that using a trap generally gets me small mullet, mostly too small to use (1"-2"). If I'm going to be targetting flathead I usually resort to using a hook and bread as A.dawg has said. That way I nearly always get them around the 3"-4" size, perfect for flathead. They're not always too easy to hook though and the technique takes a while to perfect but once you have it you can usually get a bucket full in a hour. I use a size 12 longshank with a piece of bread gently moulded around it to about the size of a pea. I use a small split shot about 6" from the hook to give a little casting weight and to offset the bread so that it sinks slowly. Once cast I keep a tight line on it by retrieving slowly so the mullet pretty much hook themselves when they take it, which is usually within a few seconds of it hitting the water!

Of course it helps if you have mullet around too :)

Paul

Mate

Got a great tip on my recent holiday and it worked better than any bought trap I have ever used!

Just get a clear 2/3 litre juice bottle and on the flat section of the bottle on one side cut diagonally from corner to corner and fold the flaps down into the bottle, place a bit of sand or mud in the bottom as a weight and then put in some bread crumbs and a few bigger pieces if needed to bring them around.

I had my doubts about this but the hundreds of poddies that that juice bottle caught was all the proof I needed.

Good luck.

Richard

I have had no success at all with the mesh store bought traps, except for really small fish so I would say this method is a waste of time.

The orange juice bottle method works quite well. I cut a hole about 2in square on the opposite side to the label (no need to remove the label). Rather than add rocks as weight i stuck some sheet lead folded over (inside the bottle on the back of the label) with silicone. Put the bread in the neck of the bottle and place in the water with label side down on the sand. The bottle only needs about 3 inches of water over the top to be effective. Add some bread or crumbs to the water if necessary to bring the around.

My prefered method is to use a clearish tuppaware type container (check the max size allowed by fisheries and buy one smaller) or better still take it from the wifes collection she wont miss it until its too late. The lid needs to fit on firmly or clip on. Glue lead to the base of the container or use rocks if you prefer to weigh it down. Drill some holes say 3/8 in the container base and top. The lid needs a hole cut in the top say 3-4 inches square. Around the large hole drill some small holes 1/8th or so. To the underside of the lid sow (with fishing line) some plastic type flyscreen mesh and below that some gal bird wire. The bread is put between the two pieces of wire so you only sow two ends of the bird wire put completely around the fly wire. Put a hole about 1 inch in the flyscreen wire and a biggerhole in the bird wire.

I tried to use silicone to fix the wire instead of sowing but it didnt stick to the plastic maybe sikaflex would.

When you put the bread in between the two pieces push a small hole through the bread where the hole is. Once in the water this method seems to be a bit slower to start to work but if you can leave it alone for up to half an hour you can have heaps in there. If you have a second go leave a couple in the container it seems to work quicker.

I mostly catch poddies in the 8 to 15cm range but sometimes there a few bigger ones. Remember you are allowed to keep 20 per person up to 15cm and 1 trap per person so take the kids if you have some they love it. They will also keep for over a month at home (the mullet not the kids) with an aireator in a plastic container from the cheap shop.

Hope this makes sense if not I may be able to add some photos later.

Edited by welst

hi raiders

just woundering the best ways to catch poddy mullet

thanks driftwood

Hi Driftwood, for the past thirty years I have used the fluro tube,i just

take it down to our golf course which is a island,one end is cut out

and the tube filled with sand and water , shake it up and tip out.

It is now clear,place some bread and water inside ,shake it up, put in a couple of bean sinkers

depending on tube size,when you place on bottom milky water andtiny crumbs float out

then poddies swim in after the trail,they can't turn round and pack in like sardines.

If you need anymore info in cutting tube.pm me.

piece of string soaked in petrol,tied tight around tube.ignite. when it goes out

just tape lightly and Bob's your uncle.

cheers Rick.

after reading some of the posts i got an idea to use a big water bottle. i just cut of the top and turned it around to face into the drum i think this might work.

thanks for all your helpful tip driftwood :thumbup:

first step

post-11168-1263203192_thumb.jpg

second step

post-11168-1263203213_thumb.jpg

third step

post-11168-1263203233_thumb.jpg

still not ready yet just have to drill the holes in the bottom.

Edited by driftwood

yeh i agree might be a tad large might be good for trapping larger fish like whiting but not sure if thats legal

havnt trapped poddys since i was a kid but i always just used a 2ltr coke bottle using the same method you have above

now you got me worried framedtrash :(

all i know is that i have to drill a hell of alot holes in it.

driftwood :biggrinthumb:

Edited by driftwood

Wow thats one big poddy trap Driftwood let us know how it works. Maybe take some orange juice or coke bottle ones to put in the shallower water and let us know your results. At a bag limit of 20 per person if you get them excited you will need plenty of friends.

Has anyone ever seen these clear plastic cylinder shaped poddy mullet traps that are available in some tackle shops and would probably comply with the NSW requirements for bait traps.... A friend of a friend who I know of from their Hathead trips joined recently and came up to see me only yesterday and said he has used these particular traps before particularly in Chipping Norton and he swears that they are the best trap that he has used on poddy mullet so far...

If anyone else has one of these particular clear plastic live bait traps can you put a photo up please...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I think these traps are the things your mate is talking about

They are made by alvey and around 20 dollars at most tackle shops

post-8730-1263273709_thumb.jpg

Harry

Thanks for taking the time to do all that young Harry. The larger one would have to be the same poddy mullet trap my friend spoke about and I have been led to believe that these are excellent bait traps all the way around and the good thing is that Alvey always does their homework and stands by and backs up the products they market...By the way Harry do you know much about the other bait trap in the photo?

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

I use one of the Alvey bait traps. They have holes at either end making it a little easier for the fish to find their way in. But I find this also works against me when I go to get the trap out - you should always approach the trap from the side of the hole so that the fish panic and swim to the other end so they are well and truly trapped. With the Alvey you can't do that as I find some of the fish find their way out of the opposite hole - so you need to approach it sort of side on instead. Besides being collapsable the Alvey also has a few small holes drilled at each end where you can tie some weights to keep it on the bottom. Also one end is removable to make it easier to take the fish out.

You really do need shallow water though (I'd reccomend no more than 12" over the trap really) for them to work as poddy's don't like to be down deep. If the fish are in deeper water (if the tide is up for example), one trick I've found is suspend the whole thing under a couple of bobby floats tied to each end on a foot of mono. With a couple of weights on the bottom or rocks inside the whole thing suspends near the surface. I've used this trick at narrabeen a few times when the tides have been up. A bit fiddly but it gets results when placing it on the bottom doesn't work.

Paul

I always use size 12 longshank hook and tiny bits of bread (make sure the point of the hook is showing) with a float to catch the bigger poddy and the smaller ones i use a trap. I never seem to get them in the middle of the day it needs to be late arvo.

JUst walk along untill you see a school and start to burly them up.

THe legal size for the smaller ones is anything under 15cm other wise they need to be 30cm and above.

Mullet

Small (poddy) Under 15 cm

20 in total * for live bait only

Sea (bully) only 30 cm 20 in total *

Mushtaka

I always use size 12 longshank hook and tiny bits of bread (make sure the point of the hook is showing) with a float to catch the bigger poddy and the smaller ones i use a trap. I never seem to get them in the middle of the day it needs to be late arvo.

JUst walk along untill you see a school and start to burly them up.

THe legal size for the smaller ones is anything under 15cm other wise they need to be 30cm and above.

Mullet

Small (poddy) Under 15 cm

20 in total * for live bait only

Sea (bully) only 30 cm 20 in total *

Mushtaka

Mushtaka is there is no reference to mullet between 15cm and 30cm.. do they have the limits in another section in regards to the mullet that are freshwater and salt water fish..Apart from the big bull mullet an estuary mullet is a still a mullet :D

Cheers