Tweed Bassin'

Jewhunter

The pressure was on today. My good mate , Andrew aka fishingbear, has come up from Sydney for a few days & I wanted to get him some fish.

Offshore 3 days ago was a flop. :( The next day in the river chasing jacks & flatties was the same! :1badmood:

Righto time to go bassin! :thumbup: We hit the fresh water side of the weir in the Tweed this morning. I was shocked to pull out my fave plastic grub packet to see 1 left! O.k that one goes to Bear. He'd never caught a wild bass before so that was the goal. I rigged it on a TT spin blade for him. It didn't take long to pop his cherry! :biggrin2: 40cm of wild bass. A bloody nice 1st.

We continued to get plenty of hits & fish & ended up with 8 for the morning with Bear nailing 5 to my 3! :1yikes: I got mine on the TT rigged with a 3" prong. The quality was great with the last fish of the day being the smallest at 33cm. The other 7 were between 37.5 & 40.5 cm's.

Beautiful glassed out conditions as well. Gotta love Bass! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice session Grant I'll bet your mate from Sydney was glad he had the chance to come up and fish for bass with you :thumbup: .. Just looking at that healthy 40cm fish I reckon it would have put up a pretty good fight on the light gear...

Good effort mate..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Aww don't be like that Slinky. I did ask what you were doing today but you had a date with Alvin & the Chipmunks! :074:

Jenno64. Pound for pound bass would be one of the best fighting fish around. Great fun on light bream gear. They will dust you quick smart in the timber if you're not on your game.

Cheers,

Grant.

Good on ya mate. Putting Andrew onto a bass is a top effort, and to put him onto a 40cm model .. now that's classy! :biggrin2: Nice use of the prong too! Looks like a bloody good day on the water! Crackin' photos mate. Another terrific day on the water in your part of the world. Keep 'em coming ;)

Cheers

Skip

Nice fishin' there, boys!! Andrew will think this bass fishing thing is easy! :1yikes: Thumper fish!

Hmmm, using guzzler prawns on the spinner now, eh?? :biggrin2: Must try that!}

Good to see you got into some good fish!

Roberta

Do you ever go bass fishing in the upper tweed or back country streams around there.

I was swimming at whian whian? falls in october and I could see something quite large smashing insects off the surface. I didnt have my rod in the car but it sure looked inviting if not bloddy snaky. Also I could see something schooled up in the tweed just near Uki, dont know if they were bass but I would have loved to have ago.

Do you ever go bass fishing in the upper tweed or back country streams around there.

I was swimming at whian whian? falls in october and I could see something quite large smashing insects off the surface. I didnt have my rod in the car but it sure looked inviting if not bloddy snaky. Also I could see something schooled up in the tweed just near Uki, dont know if they were bass but I would have loved to have ago.

Yes mate, I've fished the upper Tweed, the Oxley, upper Rous into Crystal Creek, Dunbible Creek & they all hold bass. Every stream & creek in the Tweed Valley holds good numbers of resident bass & it is great fun exploring them! :biggrin2:

The fish you saw schooling would have been big freshwater mullet. There is a heap of them above the weir.

The falls you are talking about run from Rocky Creek Dam out the back of Rosebank & Repentance Creek. They would have been bass feeding for sure. It was hot in October!

Cheers mate. Great to see someone else visiting the area.

Grant.

Yes mate, I've fished the upper Tweed, the Oxley, upper Rous into Crystal Creek, Dunbible Creek & they all hold bass. Every stream & creek in the Tweed Valley holds good numbers of resident bass & it is great fun exploring them! :biggrin2:

The fish you saw schooling would have been big freshwater mullet. There is a heap of them above the weir.

The falls you are talking about run from Rocky Creek Dam out the back of Rosebank & Repentance Creek. They would have been bass feeding for sure. It was hot in October!

Cheers mate. Great to see someone else visiting the area.

Grant.

I reckon any bit of water on the whole NSW coast with access to salt water will hold a bass but from the mid north coast up is gods country. Just wondering if this area that you fished jewhunter is between M,bar and Uki? Looks that way to me.

I reckon any bit of water on the whole NSW coast with access to salt water will hold a bass but from the mid north coast up is gods country. Just wondering if this area that you fished jewhunter is between M,bar and Uki? Looks that way to me.

You got it in one mate.

I launched at the Byangum bridge & we fished back down to the weir.

Bloody Gods' country allright! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.