Pencils

Langa

Hi all, after a bit of trial and error (and a lot of hints from this site) I have started to have some success with Whiting on poppers, mainly bubble pops and strike pros, feeling confident I bought some pencils recently to see what all the fuss is about. I went to some flats I know yesterday to try them out, conditions were great, light breeze, low tide, cicadas droning, I had a top session 5 Whiting and 1 Tailor in an hour and a half, but only 1 caught on a pencil (Owner Rover) and I admit to having real problems retriving them. I was using an NW pencil and the aformentioned Rover and they both seemed to dive if I retrived at the usual speed I use for Whiting and it was only if I slowed down considerably did they seem to take on a life like imitation, is this right or am I doing something wrong. My limited experience has shown that the faster the retrive the better for Whiting and I felt I was missing hits slowing down with the pencils. I have benifited from the wealth of advice and experience proffered on this site and am grateful that raiders are so free with their knowledge. I defer to the experts such as Roberta, Hodgey and others, and appreciate in advance any advise.

Cheers Langa

Here's a couple of points to consider, Langa:

Whilst whiting will certainly take a pencil, they fall more readily to a popper IMO

If your pencil is 'diving' at the front, then perhaps your leader is too heavy or made of the wrong material?

I have never encountered this problem using 6lb leader. I occasionally use fluro leader if I am in really rough country but it is not ideal. Mono is a much better material as it floats

You should be able to work a pencil pretty briskly across the top of the water by predominately using the rod tip to impart the action

If you generally use a 'down stroke' to work your lures, try using an 'up stroke'

Let me know how you go mate. I use NW Pencils a lot and have never had a drama with them. Sorry I couldn't be more help. It's not something I have encountered on the water ... yet

Good luck!

Hodgey

Thanks for the advice, I tried again today and I think I should lose the snap lock and go to a knot tied direct to the lure as they seem to be a bit nose heavy, has any one else noticed this?

Cheers, Langa

.....I defer to the experts such as Roberta, Hodgey and others, and appreciate in advance any advise......

:074::074: Hi Langa - flattery will get you everything!!

I do most of my fishing from a yak, so am sitting at water level, which makes my retrieve different from someone standing or even sitting in a boat. I cast the lure as far away from me as I can (have the wind on your back, to make it go further still!) Leave it there for a moment. If no bream hits it, by pointing the rod at the lure, I then do a very short, sharp 'right hand sweep' with the rod tip. I then wind once or twice to pick up the slack & repeat the action, with the occasional pause. The trick with pencils is that the line HAS TO GO SLACK immediately after you have given it the action. That is what makes it go left & right.

Good luck! Hope you get into some!

Roberta