King Mojo Regained!

jim77

After my last 2 trips had failed to produce a legal King i was starting to wonder whether i had lost my mojo. On the water with a mate by about 6am this morning. Flicked a plastic at some markers on the way out to the bait grounds - plenty of rats there but nothing decent.

Stopped to get some yakkas and had 2 Kings buzzing the yakkas which was fun... and then i hooked one of them on my hand line with a size 12 hook! The fight lasted all of about 2 seconds.

With plenty of yakkas in the tank and a good supply of frozen fresh squid it was off to find some fish. At first things were very slow. Nothing for about 30 minutes and then just as i was suggesting we should move and try a different spot my rod buckled over and i was on. A decent fight and first fish of the day in the boat at 74cm.

We worked the same spot for a while but got nothing so we got the downriggers out and starting looking for the fish.

After a lot of searching we eventually found them in some deeper water and then it was really on. Over about 2 hours we caught about 20 fish including 10 legals. We kept 8 fish ranging from 72 to 86cm - with 4 of the fish going over 80cm. A lot of the time we were getting double hook ups and often we would get one downrigger set and it woiuld get hammered before we had a chance to set the other one! Squid and Yakkas were working but Yakkas caught the bigger fish.

A great fun session.

Still no metre + fish for me but i know its not that far away, or hopefully not anyway!

Good luck if you're heading out during the week.

post-4846-1263191906_thumb.jpg

Fish were taken outside the heads... but surprisingly not at the Colours for once. Had to fish real deep to get through the rats - we were downrigging at 55-65ft!

Nice haul there Jim :thumbup: , well done ..... Might have to start calling you King Jim..

Thanks John -although i have been catching a few fish i'm no where near the title of King of Kings yet. When are you taking me out to show me your secrets?! :1prop: