Baitcaster... Want To Buy

Coast_Bloke

Hey,

I am looking at buying myself a new baitcaster and rod to match.

First off I looked at cheapo's from Big W, and for around the $160 mark you get a decent little combo with cork grips etc.. (Shimano)

But I have decided that I will use this rod/reel alot, and need a decent one. I dont wanna spend over $400 all up, and I will use it for bream, lizards and the like in estuaries.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

PLUS...

I am want to buy my son a rod for his sixth b'day coming up soon, he has this crap thing I bought ages ago for him, but he loves his fishing with me, so wanna get him something decent, but not overboard, as he will only be 6. Should I buy a tackle store rig, or just a cheaper big w shimano setup. Your ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Coasty

I own a curado 100b and 200b low profile baitcasters and I reckon they are the best value for money reels I own aswell as being very easy to cast light lures compared to barrel models of the same price range. They have 5 bbearings compared to 1 that the kmart version will have and will set u back mid $200 including a good quality braid (I run 150yd of 15lb tuffline) leaving $150 for a good quality baitcast rod. To be honest if u r chasing flatties and bream u will probably find using a similar quality threadline much easier and more versatile especially with lures lighter than 1/8oz. Get your young fella a shimano combo threadline from k-mart, they take a beating and peform quite well for how cheap they r.

Guest Target

Coasty

Can only go on my experience with baitcasters, and that is dont buy the cheaper ones for casting lighter weights. Plus, for casting bream lures, most baitcasters will not be able to cast the ultralight weights unless you are spending big big bucks, and even then they are not as good as a decent threadline for light work.

for medium lures, and doing flatty/bass work, I got myself one of the new 5600D5 ABU's a few months back, and had the chance two weeks ago to compare it side by side to a calcutta, which are normally about $100 more. Calcutta is good, obviously much stronger than the ABU with a cast/machined aluminuim frame, but the new abu has magnetic cast control, weighs alot less, and probably outcast the calcutta. Hence, look at the ABU 5600D5, for less than $200 and get a decent rod to match.

Adrian

I own a curado 100b and 200b low profile baitcasters and I reckon they are the best value for money reels I own aswell as being very easy to cast light lures compared to barrel models of the same price range.  They have 5 bbearings compared to 1 that the kmart version will have and will set u back mid $200 including a good quality braid (I run 150yd of 15lb tuffline) leaving $150 for a good quality baitcast rod.  To be honest if u r chasing flatties and bream u will probably find using a similar quality threadline much easier and more versatile especially with lures lighter than 1/8oz.  Get your young fella a shimano combo threadline from k-mart, they take a beating and peform quite well for how cheap they r.

41453[/snapback]

Thanks m8... will have a look at them, I really want a good rod this time round, my old baitcaster rod (cheap crap) was junk. And yeh I think I will just go a $150 or over kmart or big w job for my son, he will love it.. I signed him up for the Shimano Junior Anglers thing, and he was stoked with that :biggrin2:

Coasty

Can only go on my experience with baitcasters, and that is dont buy the cheaper ones for casting lighter weights.  Plus, for casting bream lures, most baitcasters will not be able to cast the ultralight weights unless you are spending big big bucks, and even then they are not as good as a decent threadline for light work. 

for medium lures, and doing flatty/bass work, I got myself one of the new 5600D5 ABU's a few months back, and had the chance two weeks ago to compare it side by side to a calcutta, which are normally about $100 more.  Calcutta is good, obviously much stronger than the ABU with a cast/machined aluminuim frame, but the new abu has magnetic cast control, weighs alot less, and probably outcast the calcutta.  Hence, look at the ABU 5600D5, for less than $200 and get a decent rod to match.

Adrian

41454[/snapback]

So Adrian, do you mean my eggbeater is gunna be better for bream?,,, I love my Shimano NAVI 4000, I got 6lb fireline on and its a great reel with the silstar diamond power tip rod, very smooth and comfortable... wanna be for the price :biggrin2: But I really want a baitcaster for that thumb flick feel... and as bass are an elusive dream fish for me, I will use it as a general rod/reel combo in conjuction with my Shimano setup.

I have not used baitcasters much, what do most people use them for?... by this I mean what kinds of fish do you normally fish for with a baitcaster?

Guest Target

Coasty

Baitcaster are great for casting baits - ie yank talk for lures -crankbaits. But you will struggle to cast anything under 1/8 oz on any baitcaster, put some wind into the equation and it gets worse. Baitcasters rely on the weight of your lure pulling line from the spool and spinning that spool (very simplified I know). Too light a lure and you have problems getting the spool to spin properly and you end up with backlash or birdsnests tangles. I use my baitcasters for bass and flathead style lures in the 1/4 to 3/5 oz sizes and trolling, mainly hardbody style lures and spinnerbaits. ( i also use them a bit for bait fishing when things are slow on the lures). as to low profile v's barrel style baitcasters, its a bit personal, but I understand the low profiles cast lighter lures better.

A good 1500 to 2500 size threadline reel with light line is the go for bream (and the other bread and butter fish like flathead and whiting) especially when you start throwing things like 1/32 and 1/16 jig heads or unweighted/lightly weighted baits. Baitcasters take a bit to get used to and I wouldnt recomend them for young kids until they really master being able to cast with a threadline. I have the Navi in 2500 size for light spin work and its great.

Just my thoughts

Adrian

Have you thought about a good Bait Runner instead.

Shimano had an extended warranty of 10 years when I last checked.

The BTR3500 holds 305 yards of 8 lb line with 3 ball bearings and is a good smaller reel for Flatties.

Retail is about $195 from a shop but you may be able to do a better deal from Fishing Tackle Australia or some other like store.

Okuma also has a great range.

:thumbup:

I have to say i'm a shimano man through and through

Baitcast: Curado 100/200 $250?

with a Raider $170?...

Spin: Stradic 1000/2500 $250?

with a Tcurve or a Raider

You will not be dissapointed with either of these combo's :thumbup:

Generally i use a baitcast setup for Flatties (easy to cast the heavy lures) and always use a 1000 to 2500 spin (threadline) setup for Breamin...

-Stick

It was silver, I have a feeling that it wasn't exactly the top of the line model.

41802[/snapback]

if it was new... it was probably the corvalus ($150 or so)

if it was old... it was most likely a catala or corsair

It is possible to use a baitcaster for light estuary work (down to about 3g lure weight), but you will need a finesse model such as the Daiwa Sol or the Alphas. The Daiwa Pixy is perhaps the best finesse reel, but is no good in salt because of its magnesium construction. Don't forget to match it to a suitable light rod though - you won't get far trying to cast with a broomstick. On the Daiwa vs Shimano argument, there is no doubt that Daiwa has the best brake design. Magforce V, with the external dial, is much easier to use for light lures when casting in the wind. The Calais 100 (known as Antares AR in Japan) is Shimano's best baitcaster for throwing the light stuff in the salt, but you still have to fiddle with centrifugal brake blocks to adjust it. The Scorpion is also good, as it has an external 4x4 SVS brake adjustment, but is not recommended for the salt. Regarding price, be sure to shop around. Unfortunately, our reel prices can be much more expensive than those in the US, Japan or Singapore (depending on the model).

Hope this helps.

Strewth