First Bream On A Pencil!

jahajo

Hey Raiders,

Got bored at home today so i decide i would go for a quick flick in Iron cove.

It was half tide and the tide was running out (i find this the most productive time to fish).

I tied my new pencil on, Jazz Zappa In Lemon Tiger.

Took me a few casts to get the walk the dog action right but once i got it right the bream couldnt resist it.

Every second or third cast i would get a strike.

About ten casts later i hooked up, didnt fight to well compared to the other bream i have caught but was still exhilirating watching the bream smash the pencil off the surface :yahoo: .

It went 24cm and i released it.

post-8730-1263439022_thumb.jpg

post-8730-1263439044_thumb.jpg

After this fish i hooked up 5 others but i pulled the hooks on all of them and i was using super light drag. I spose this is just what happens when using surface walkers.

Now im hooked on surface lures and ill be back to the tackle shop to get a couple more pencils :biggrin2:

Harry

They are good little lures :thumbup:

A hint when surface fishing is not to set your drag to light otherwise you will not get the hookups

Also you have to strike fairly hard to set the hooks as bream tend to just hold onto the surface lure and drag it under so you will find a lot of bream will be hooked on the belly treble

Had a fish at Iron Cove myself on Saturday Night, wheather was perfect - no wind, glassy water and FISH!

Had some old hawkesbury prawns which I used mostly for berley and had some fresher ones for bait. Within 10 minutes of starting on the berley there were bait schools all around where I was fishing choping and smashing the bait on the water.

First up was a 30cm bream on peeled prawn, the other rod was being picked at while I was bringing in the Bream so as soon as I dropped it back in the water I picked up the other rod and gave it a gentle lift - off went the drag and I was onto something pulled in a flattie about 35 to 40cms.

Rebaited my rods and things were quiet for about 10 minutes - started reeling in and was attacked by a little chopper. Sent another bait out and straight away was onto something decent. At a guess it was a 45cm tailor which I brought in and dispatched for bait.

The Tailor strips went out on two of my 3 rods with a little more weight to get them down faster and past the tailor which I could here chopping away at anything that moved on the water, no joke they were less than 10 feet from me and I could see them swimming in the water.

My bigger rod went off (tailor fillet), thought I might have hooked a Jewy but could soon tell it wasn't that big - a decent bream came in with a fillet strip half the size of it's body.

Still managed bites galore for the next hour but couldn't convert. Just as I was about to leave another slab of tailor fillet was grabbed by something and I mean something big! it must have been a bream as it turned right and headed straight for the oyster encrusted rocks about 50ft beside me - SNAP and that was it. One of the best nights I have had down there.

No photo's sorry! even forgot to take a torch this time.