Hawkesbury Oyster Racks

Ken A

I just saw a segment on ABC news saying the oyster disease known as "QX" has infected the Hawkesbury River oyster racks & that all the oysters in the racks are either dead or dying & all of the oysters & racks will have to be removed to prevent the spread of the disease.

Copied from ABC News

Oyster farmers seek help to beat parasite crisis

Oyster farmers on the Hawkesbury River, north of Sydney, say their industry is in crisis and they need urgent help from the New South Wales Government.

The QX parasite, which was first discovered in the area last year, has now returned with great intensity.

QX does not harm humans but it either kills oysters or makes them unsaleable.

Roger Clarke, who has been an oyster farmer on the Hawkesbury for 30 years, says it can not be underestimated.

"Once it gets into an estuary it really does mean an end to commercial operations," he said.

Farmers are asking the Government for financial support and help to quickly clean up infected farms.

Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald says a support package is being put together, which he will take to Parliament for approval.

"I believe we'll be there to stand by the farmers through this and give them the assistance they require to get the industry back on its feet," he said.

The Government is also working on developing a disease-resistant sydney rock oyster.

Apparently it will be several years before a new rock oyster strain is developed & in the meantime all the racks will be removed completely.

Dunno the details on QX yet Joe. Apparently this will extend into Brisbane Waters also. I'll post more info when I get it.

Guest Jocool
several years before a new rock oyster strain is developed

41577[/snapback]

Does that mean they are out of business till then???? :1yikes::1yikes:

Guest Jocool

Just did a bit of quick research...Looks like this isnt really new news Ken! the following quote is from a press release dated Feb. 9th 2005!

QX Disease in the Hawkesbury River

In June 2004, NSW DPI had confirmation of an outbreak of QX disease in the Hawkesbury River. An emergency closure of Hawkesbury River and Patonga Creek was declared on 11 June 2004. Staff of NSW DPI have held regular meetings with the local industry, and are also in liaison with recognised QX and epidemiology experts to discuss technical details and assist with the development of management strategies and future planning. ORAC have recommended NSW DPI investigate the possibility of obtaining ‘disaster funding’ under exceptional circumstances.

Guest Jocool

Apparently this same disease shut down the Georges River oyster Industry. They are still researching and trying to get it happening, but its not! I think it mentioned that they have been trying to remedy the QX infestation (its a parasite in the gut of the oyster) since '94!

Found some more info on the fisheries site...Seems this has been a problem since late '03!

41586[/snapback]

Yeah.. Im surprised its come out in the media this hard this late. QX has been a growing problem in the Hawkesbury for quite some time now, and already destroyed the livelyhood of farmers.

QX impacts the Sydney Rock Oyster only it seems. QX does not impact some other popular varieties of oyster, and farmers are beginning to farm other varieties. It is however quite sad that the days of the Sydney Rock Oyster as we know them are numbered..

I am saddended but not surprised at the outbreak of qx disease.

Jo cool, Qx only affects Sydney rock oyster. Interesting to note that not all S RO"s are affected. A quick run down on the disease. The Q in qx abbreviates the disease origin. Queensland.

It seems that oysters with low qty's of phenyloxidase (chemical responsible for oyster disese resistance) are susceptible to qx. The qx spores infect the digestive system and gradually inhibit the oyster from eating. (maybe jenny craig could employ these tactics :1prop: )

Now, here's where the fun starts and I get to gloat whilst blowing not 1 trumpet but the whole brass band!

It seems that disease resistance is prevalent in wild oyster communities (rocks, wharves etc)

Why is this so Shad? I'm glad you asked. Now take notes cos I'll be asking questions later! (sorry for the digression)

Wild communities as opposed to farmed communities have one main difference betwen them.

GENETIC DIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I attempted to broach this subject earlier using bream breeding as an example.

Wild communities host oysters of all different shapes n sizes, not just big fat creamy plump oysters that farmers exploit. Big n fat oysters come about by two reasons 1, farmers thin the oysters out thus providing 1 oyster room to grow whereas wild oysters are dense and growing on top of each other, hence less room = little oyster. reason 2, GENETIC DIVERSITY. Farmers thin out the smaller & perceived weaker oysters on the racks to develop a consistant crop.

Most oyster farms propagate the next generation of oyster from natural "spat" fall.(the immediate offspring from the oysters they harvest = inbreeding) Spats a tiny wee shell less oysters floating around the water looking for a home.

Now here is the issue that has come right back and bitten the whinging farmers right on the arse. Sadly, most harvesters of semi wild crops be it oysters, fish etc, can't be arsed to take the time to develop an intimate knowledge of the organism they are exploiting. They are happier to maintain the same practices year after year (90 years in trhe hawkesbury). Then they are surprised when crops fail.

The dick heads have been harvesting the same offspring from the previous harvest for 90 years. Consider the situation that they have been thinning the smaller slower growing varieties (that probably have higher phenyloxidase levels or qx resistance) in preference for big fat arsed oysters that get to market quicker with higher cash returns. The big fat arsed oyster for ninety years has undergone "Incest" (the game the whole family can play). 90 years of gradual thinning of the gene pool, resulting in an oyster comparible to pedigree dogs with hip displasure, tasmanians with cleft pallets and extra fingers etc. :1yikes:

Of the 7 deadly sins, Greed is close to #1. Greed has dictated they take from their farm without considering the vital issue of giving back to their farm. (ie no consideration for the health of their crop) If they had allowed a percentage of non uniformed oyster to reside in the crop, diversity & thus resistance would prevail). It's akin to sacrificing $$$ each crop to maintain your future earning capabilities.

Can you see a parralel with oyster farmers and rural farmers with soil salinity problems? Take take take without any give give give. Will be mankinds downfall.

Despite the arguments from my fellow learned fishraiders, Estuary fish species are heading down the same track courtesy of the current legal size regulations and thus once again compromising the gene pool and genetic variabilities.

It's really quite simple. the less variety breeding adults of any organism have to breed with, the likliehood of you shagging your cousin becomes greater :1yikes: (inbreeding)

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. I best go cos I am running late for my 10am sermon followed by a stint at the domain.

Good read Shad.

You're not wrong about bio-diversity and the 'thinning' of the gene pool, just look at the affect hundreds of years of in-breeding has had on the British royal family.. nutters the lot of them! ;)

Pukk'

I was told they can't leave the racks or poles as they're a boating hazard.

A boating hazard alright, go into Woolaware Bay at low tide and have a look at the poles still in there and try to remember where thay are at high tide :1yikes: .

You're right Iain, most methods of farming are hard work, however the rewards are there when good conditions prevail. 3 years is not such a long time to harvest. Take into consideration that you're harvesting each year after your third year of starting with a fresh farm.

Whether you farm plants or animals . The ethos about it is crop protection and husbandry. Regardless of what business you are involved in. If you havent done your homework and know your product then you are in a high risk area. QX would not have happened overnight. evidence of diseased stock would have been gradually increasing until critical mass occurs.

CSIRO would be busy as we speak driving up and down the coast collecting oysters from each river. documenting every minor difference and peculiarities then turn down the lights, put on some marvin gaye tunes and leave em to their own devices . Its a good lesson for the rest of the industry.

If the racks are demolished, maybe cowan might get a few more residents