Botany Squid And Yakka?

BlakeChippo

Hello raiders,

I'm thinking of heading out next sunday for my first crack at a kingfish.

First i need the bait, so i was wondering where in the bay i could get a couple of squid and a few yakka.

after i have the bait, where would i have my best chance of catching a kingie? i havent fished the bay much so i dont know specific spot names, and i'm only in a 3.6 metre tinny if that helps.

Blake

Hello raiders,

I'm thinking of heading out next sunday for my first crack at a kingfish.

First i need the bait, so i was wondering where in the bay i could get a couple of squid and a few yakka.

after i have the bait, where would i have my best chance of catching a kingie? i havent fished the bay much so i dont know specific spot names, and i'm only in a 3.6 metre tinny if that helps.

Blake

If your after kingies then get some slugos on a worm hook and throw it at the markers and rip em back as fast as you can, you'll soon be on a kingfish. Check all your gear and knots and make sure your happy with your set up and drag becouse they dont play nice.

Blake, Bare island for squid, between end of the container wall and the mooring tuggers for live yellow tail. You must bring some bread for burley and sabiki to catch them.

i usually fish at the container wall where you see alot of boats with a North-east or North wind. Anchor your boat about 15-20 metres away from the wall. With a medium to large sinker, drop it down to the bottom and wind it up about a metre or two and lock up your drag. Or if water permitted, oil whaff is another place.

Because you do not know the bay that well, I suggest that you do a tour to familiarise yourself before any serious fishing.

Good luck,

If your after kingies then get some slugos on a worm hook and throw it at the markers and rip em back as fast as you can, you'll soon be on a kingfish. Check all your gear and knots and make sure your happy with your set up and drag becouse they dont play nice.

also quite curious on these things, but whats are slugos?

I know i sound like a goon, but wheres the container wall?

Blake,

Concrete man-made, triangular shape placed to stop the pounding waves. You can drive there and have a look at. I think it's called Prince Henry scenic drive. just google and you know what i mean.

Cheers,

Wall along side Yarra bay. Mol/point

Forget the bay.........It's totally dead!!! Thanks to the Desal plant and the container terminal works. Yes you will get a few kings here and there but I've seen all rats so far. The big ones are just outside in cleaner water. Get your self a down rigger and you will be buzzzzzing in no time. :1yikes: there are the keepers outside!! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for your help, hopefully a report coming soon.

just one more question- with yakka as live bait should i use any weight? and do i need to use a float?

Weights are used to achieve the desired depth as are floats, you need find the depth were the fish are sitting and then decide on the method or weight to use, as an etc. Mulloway/Flathead you will need to put the bait on the bottom so a heavy weight will need to be used to keep it on the bottom with the current in mind. Tuna/Mackeral etc are surface palagics and using a float here will be most productive, you may use a small sinker but you wont need one, becouse you will know when they take it.