Forster Fishing

Daniel Frost

The first couple of days in Forster I hit my tried and tested racks with very little success and then Roberta and I ventured up the Wallamba without any change then after x-mas it slowly turned around for me, unlike the weather . After 2 weeks I had forgotten what the sun looked like as it was overcast every day and there where showers as well . Not CHristmas weather!! Anyhow , I found fish in a couple new racks and out on some weedbeds . One morning getting smoked and busted off on the heavy gear 7 times in the racks then finding only one fish in the area the foloowing day , I went home and decided to try the weedbeds the next day . My mate JB JEW a fellow raider met up with me on this moring and we had an awesome days fishing , starting off on the weebdebs and then some racks in the arvo .He is a lucky bugger and has caught Jew 2 of the 3 times i've taken him and it didn't stop today as we pulled up at our first spot and within 1 or 2 mins were into them and the action was hot for hours . How many fish we caught im not sure I lost count , it really made up for all the slow days over the preivous week or so . Most of the fish were caught on shallow divers either fat or skinny in natural colours on the weedbeds and big poppers in the racks using 25lb leader and a 6kg rod really helps get their heads up and gives you a chance, a slight chance.

We had the new boat I call it Hellboy :ranting2:post-10942-1263793682_thumb.jpg which got us up to the weedbeds fast and i think JB JEW was surprised at the speed from the look on his face . :1yikes::1yikes:post-10942-1263793708_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the fish ,post-10942-1263793797_thumb.jpg we got some good ones and JB JEW learn't a lot about breaming a great day and he was heaps of fun to fish with. :thumbup:post-10942-1263793932_thumb.jpg

Mate you will get a good one if you keep swinging, Never Give Up !!

What a beauty of a big blue nose breambo, Dan!! Well done - so glad it fired up for you!! It was a bit 'trying' earlier on, eh? Maybe the fresh in the lake actually 'brought them on'? A buddy swears by fishing the clean/dirtly water line after lots of rain! Never tried it myself!

... busted off on the heavy gear 7 times in the racks then finding only one fish in the area the following day....

Not surprised!!! I think they knew there were 'strings attached'!!! How exciting that would have been!!!

Congrats on getting into the final of the Bream Comp, too! :yahoo::thumbup: Where & when is the final??

Many thanks for the day on the water - it was a blast!! Hope to find more fish next time tho! :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

Great report & pics Bubba!!

Hellboy looks awesome! :1yikes:

Nice fish mate. Great to see the rats of the sea giving you a pasting in the racks. :074:

Can I pre fish the Tweed with you before the bream final? Pretty please with sugar on top!! :074::074:

Top stuff mate. I want a report & pics of the comp now. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Great report & pics Bubba!!

Hellboy looks awesome! :1yikes:

Nice fish mate. Great to see the rats of the sea giving you a pasting in the racks. :074:

Can I pre fish the Tweed with you before the bream final? Pretty please with sugar on top!! :074::074:

Top stuff mate. I want a report & pics of the comp now. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Mate I will have to get up to visit and get in a pre fish on the Tweed , can't wait to get back up there it's a great spot you have there !

The comp was really fun although a bit stressful because as you know im a pretty competative and didn't want to bomb out . To get into the grand final made my day , but i would have just been happy with catching the 5 , as it happened all went well on the day due to pre fishing and finding out a few lures which really seem to be above and beyond the rest in my box .

To start the day there was 51 boats and we wanted to get away from the obvious spots which would be getting hammered by the masses , it's busy up in Forster anyway at x-mas time with the population double due to holiday makers . We headed straight to a couple big fish racks , with the tide at high on start time it was the only real chance of getting into them , unfortunately we only got 1 just legal and then made the call to go right up the coolongalook and found some really dirty water where i had been getting a lot of fish on surface lures . this paid off and we had our bag by 9.00am and although not monsters it gave us the opportunity to look for upgrades and it takes a lot of pressure off . We went back down near wallice island and fished big poppers and sammy's in leases but they seemed dead so we then hit some rocky shoreline without any more success . With a couple hours left the breeze had picked up and was perfect for hitting the flats .

[The week prior prefishing with JB JEW i had found a hump , I call it the magic hump because of the shear number of fish we caught and i had marked in the first 30 fish we caught . Each drift was about 30m apart and this showed where the fish were concentrated on the hump]

So i drove straight to the hump and we got 3 fish in 5-or 6 casts and they were all upgrades giving us a nice bag , we then kept fishing this an a couple other areas on the weedbeds but couldn't get another upgrade. So all in all i had a great time and really enjoyed the whole competition side of fishing . It makes you work hard and pushess you to learn more about a particular type of fish . We should have got some photo's holding the fish but we were fishing pretty hard and forgot about that , anyhow here is what i have of the day .

Bubba

post-10942-1263880651_thumb.jpgpost-10942-1263880670_thumb.jpg

post-10942-1263880729_thumb.jpgpost-10942-1263880990_thumb.jpg

Great to see another comp fisherman on here

Well done in making the grandfinal

Are you going to fish any other comps?

Yeah Mate , this weekend i will be up the hawkesbury and give it a crack , My mate and i have fish baits for jew up there plenty of times but have no spots for bream , we had a prefish on sat and sunday but we only found one spot the had a few legal fish . To be honest im a bit worried about getting a bag but if you don't get in and make yourself persist at finding the buggers I will never get any better .

What about you ? Any comps your going to have a crack at in the near future ?

Edited by Dan BUBBA Frost

Yeah Mate , this weekend i will be up the hawkesbury and give it a crack , My mate and i have fish baits for jew up there plenty of times but have no spots for bream , we had a prefish on sat and sunday but we only found one spot the had a few legal fish . To be honest im a bit worried about getting a bag but if you don't get in and make yourself persist at finding the buggers I will never get any better .

What about you ? Any comps your going to have a crack at in the near future ?

Cant fish the Hawkesbury Too expensive :thumbdown:Though my teams partner wants to fish the St Georges Basin round

Im fishing the Georges the following week and look like doing most of that series

I really dont like the Hawkesbury much as I rarely fish it Have done ok in Pittwater

Thanks for the reply Bubba. That's a great rundown of the comp.

The 1st comp you went into you ran 2nd. This comp you make it to the grand final. Competetive, nah not you! :074: I remember the session we had in Weipa where you were happy just to drive & put me & Benno onto a hot queenie session. When we fished Monduran all you were trying to do was get me a fish.

So you like to do well in a comp, but like me when it comes to your mates you want to see them do well.

That's what it's all about mate.

You know that my door is always open when you're up here & we'll work out the bream before the g/f mate.

Keep those reports coming!!!

Cheers,

Grant.

We had the new boat I call it Hellboy :ranting2: which got us up to the weedbeds fast and i think JB JEW was surprised at the speed from the look on his face . :1yikes::1yikes:

Here is one of the fish , we got some good ones and JB JEW learn't a lot about breaming a great day and he was heaps of fun to fish with. :thumbup:

Mate you will get a good one if you keep swinging, Never Give Up !!

Yes its fast all right... Had a great couple of days on the water - thanks mate! Looking forward to Saturday...

Another one of the nice bream

post-8129-1264023877_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBjew