Lost Jew, Marine Turtle And Flatties

jenno64

Onto the water before 6am to troll some livies around for the last hour of the runout. Scored a tailor of about 35cm out in the channel early and then headed to my hidey hole to troll some nice poddies around. Not much action for a half hour then whammo! Line is screaming of my lightest outfit...a good fifty metre run and I fell head shakes...had to be a good jew. Made two crucial mistakes.... 1. getting my other rods in whilst the loaded rod is back in the holderand 'ping' the line parts....Mistake 2. I had spooled on about 70-80m of gelspun to top up my reel the other day and the joining knot failed :1badmood: I sat silently fuming at the fact that it had hit my 4lb rod. trolling a livey and a lure back over the spot, I snagged up on something....the 70-80m of line with the hook attached. The fish must have spat the hook...I should have set the hooks in the first place!!! Anyway the tide had bottomed out and I picked up a few flatties over the flats and then saw a marine turtle bob up a metre in front of my yak :1yikes: ...he took one look and shot off...a turtle this far the Georges??? Next two hours were dead and picked up one more flatty on the way in. A few lessons learned today!

post-4017-1263951566_thumb.jpg

Bad luck losing the jewie, Rob! :( Nice flatties tho! We often see turtles up here - matter of fact, I hooked one when I was blackfishing a month or two ago! He 'swam into' my leader & it hooked his leg. I brought him to the surface .... not bad on 6lb fluro! :1yikes: Then, PING all over red rover! :wacko: At least I kept my float!

Still a nice day on the water, eh?

Roberta

Roberta,

I was quite surprised to see a turtle 3-4kms up the river when the water was pretty murky. I would have tried to get a shot but I had a hit just after I spotted him. As for the jew, I am resigned to Murphy's law....the big fish on the lightest line :1prop: