Hi All,

I am looking at changing my current canopy which has a few downfalls:

* It's been torn and repaired

* Doesn't hold taut when in the open position

* Doesn't allow me to stand up

* Doesn't allow me to not have it in use when it's not needed like at night

* the fittings are all plastic and the thread strips easily

* It's white in colour and look dirty

This canopy is fixed to the windscreen with studs. I would prefer one which doesn't cover right up to the screen, quicker to set up, doesn't have to be in use. The guy I spoke to recommended a bimini.

What are your thoughts? My boat is a 475 quinnie tinnie.

Thanks for looking.

Hi,

Bias boating sell a bimini called "Whitewater series". they are self supporting and pretty easy to install. i have had one for a few years now on my half cabin and it is fantastic. easy to open and can leave it up while motoring and takes 2 minutes to put dowm and pack into the storage bag at the end of the day. i think this type of setup would suit what you are after.

Regards

Mick

And if anyone can point me where to go for a canopy, as opposed to a bimini, i.e. one that goes right down to the windscreen (I want to get out of the rain, not the sun), let me know, please. 4.0m Stacer runabout.

Thanks,

Baz

if anyone is interested, i know of a company that comes to you and can design and make what you want right out the front of your house, their work is exellent, PM me if you want the details

And if anyone can point me where to go for a canopy, as opposed to a bimini, i.e. one that goes right down to the windscreen (I want to get out of the rain, not the sun), let me know, please. 4.0m Stacer runabout.

Thanks,

Baz

Baz Is this the type of setup you mean

When folded , looks like this

post-731-1264125532_thumb.jpg

This is how it looks when the canopy is erected

post-731-1264125591_thumb.jpg

post-731-1264128938_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks Geoff. That looks about right,a ssuming it has clears at the front there. We got soaked in the Hawkesbury a coupel of weeks ago when a storm front came through adn if we had a canoppy liek that we might have been abel to sit it out, rather than punching through the rain and shredding my eyes to bits! :1badmood: I also need to look at a windscreen wiper but the windscreen appears to be perspex, not glass...

Cheers,

Baz

if anyone is interested, i know of a company that comes to you and can design and make what you want right out the front of your house, their work is exellent, PM me if you want the details

What area are you talking about? I am from Wonllongong.

Baz Is this the type of setup you mean

When folded , looks like this

post-731-1264125532_thumb.jpg

This is how it looks when the canopy is erected

post-731-1264125591_thumb.jpg

post-731-1264128938_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Can you tell me exactly how your canopy stays in the open position, is it with the plastic threaded fittings?

I also need to look at a windscreen wiper but the windscreen appears to be perspex, not glass...

.....Cheers,

Baz

Baz see if you can get hold of a high mount bimini from the word go with clears to suit and have the strap studs right away from the casting area..if you happen to add a rocket launcher for the stored rods and the spare rods make sure the rod holders are not angled too far back towards the stern where they impede your casting.. A lot of rocket launchers can be angled downwards wrongly for appearance sake and don't allow safe casting from one side of the boat to the other and having upright rod holders are far better anyway than the ones with the rod holders angled back over the stern area....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Baz see if you can get hold of a high mount bimini from the word go with clears to suit and have the strap studs right away from the casting area..if you happen to add a rocket launcher for the stored rods and the spare rods make sure the rod holders are not angled too far back towards the stern where they impede your casting.. A lot of rocket launchers can be angled downwards wrongly for appearance sake and don't allow safe casting from one side of the boat to the other and having upright rod holders are far better anyway than the ones with the rod holders angled back over the stern area....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Are rocket launchers the big frame that comes over the top of a boat that looks like a roll cage? What is their purpose, is it just for storage of rods?

Baz Thanks Geoff. That looks about right,a ssuming it has clears at the front there.

The front section that is rolled up in the front view of the boat is all clear plastic. If I was remaking the canopy I would have about half & half , ie, the top half would be material & the bottom half clear plastic as it can become rather hot with the sun shining through the clear plastic.

Bleeding Green

Can you tell me exactly how your canopy stays in the open position, is it with the plastic threaded fittings?

No , it with straps. The advantage being very easy & quick to erect or fold down. The disadvantage , the straps take up a bit of space compared to spreader bars

This photo shows the canopy with the front section down & the support straps on each side

post-731-1264148382_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Hi Bisso,

Do you have any pics of your Bimini? When it's not in use does it remain folded in the upright position?

Thanks.

Here is a photo of it set up. i was too lazy to pack it away as it is 40 deg....

Cheers and hope this helps

Mickpost-1143-1264220348_thumb.jpg

Hi Bisso,

Do you have any pics of your Bimini? When it's not in use does it remain folded in the upright position?

Thanks.

Sorry forgot toadd. YES it does remain folded upright and the storage boot packs the bimini nicely away...

Cheers

Mick :biggrin2::thumbup:

Here is a photo of it set up. i was too lazy to pack it away as it is 40 deg....

Cheers and hope this helps

Mickpost-1143-1264220348_thumb.jpg

Sorry forgot toadd. YES it does remain folded upright and the storage boot packs the bimini nicely away...

Cheers

Mick :biggrin2::thumbup:

Thanks for that. Very helpful. Do you have front clears to keep out the water? Have you used them much?

The bimini you've got is pretty much want I want, except I will want to be able to fold it doen so I can fit the boat into my garage. And it would need to be quick to setup and pack away.

Heres the stepup we use it the whole thing folds down for storage

post-7089-1264226404_thumb.jpg

To put it up you have to put 2 poles into a section at the front and screw them in

post-7089-1264226456_thumb.jpg

Then you have to put 2 spreader bars in

post-7089-1264226486_thumb.jpg

Takes 5 mins to setup and 5 mins to fold down no problems i really like the idea of the bimini being up high we also got some clears for the front and side and when there up and theres a bit of a swell or if its raining your pretty dry :)

I'll try to get some more piccies if you would like ..

Cheers

Heres the stepup we use it the whole thing folds down for storage

post-7089-1264226404_thumb.jpg

To put it up you have to put 2 poles into a section at the front and screw them in

post-7089-1264226456_thumb.jpg

Then you have to put 2 spreader bars in

post-7089-1264226486_thumb.jpg

Takes 5 mins to setup and 5 mins to fold down no problems i really like the idea of the bimini being up high we also got some clears for the front and side and when there up and theres a bit of a swell or if its raining your pretty dry :)

I'll try to get some more piccies if you would like ..

Cheers

Looks good. Some more pictures would be great, the spreader bars and 'poles' in particular. Do you travel with it set up, and who did it for you? Is it a custom design?

Thanks.

I'll be able to get some pics on tuesday as thats when were taking it out next so i'll ge some pictures for you then.

Yes we do travel with it set up no problems. A bloke down the south coast done it for us, I'll try to get his number and P.M it to you :)

Thanks for that. Very helpful. Do you have front clears to keep out the water? Have you used them much?

The bimini you've got is pretty much want I want, except I will want to be able to fold it doen so I can fit the boat into my garage. And it would need to be quick to setup and pack away.

i dont use clears as its a cabin boat so if pouring we adjoun to the cabin... its nice and dry there.. for interests sake it cost less than $300 including bimini boot storage. i installed it myself.

Hi, Bleeding Green,

I have a 475 Quintrex Bayhunter. It already had a canopy on it when I bought it which I think is a Quintrex accessory. It is a similar design to the one pictured on the twin hull boat in the first picture in this thread with a large square section that we usually keep rolled up because it allows us to stand up. When the weather closes in, we zip it closed and clip it to the windscreen and it keeps us dry because the boat faces into the wind at anchor.

While we can't drive standing up when it is zipped shut, it is easy for fishing as we just have to unclip 2 straps and fold the whole thing forward so it sits on the windscreen out of the way. This takes about 5 seconds if you are slow. Very convenient but, like you , visibility in rain or heavy spray is an issue.