60hp Fourstroke And Trailer

anthonym

Off topic a little I used to work at a houseboat factory on the mid north coast and some of the fleet ran twin 9.9hp yammie four strokes, this was back around 1989-90 I guess. Anyway the four strokes were a bit of a rarity back then.

During a repower one of the guys at the factory bought one of the motors for his tinnie. He was a fisho and as such we became mates and I still catch up with him a couple of times a year. Twenty odd years on he is retired and using the motor min of once a week and he used it frequently prior to retirement also.

He has replaced a gearbox (lower leg) after a collission at speed with a sunken object and otherwise it has only required routine maintainance, impellors, plugs ect.

He reckons it runs as well as it ever did and he cant see any point in replacing it at present.

So not quite 30 years but probably the oldest 4 stroke I know of.

Anthony, I empathise with your wish for reliable hassle free boating and hence a upgrade.

I would liken it to upgrading motor cars.

We all wish for reliable and comfortable motoring and hence we upgrade vehicles when required and within budget (otherwise we would all be driving our first cars and mine would be getting bloody hard to find parts for :1prop: ). I would point out that I only care how the motor runs for the first 10 years of it life as, budget permitting, it will be upgraded to new and better tech. after that.

Like with fishing tackle, I think you should aim to use the best gear you can justify :wife: when approved.

Again good luck with your selection.

Cheers

Marlin01