3hp On A 7.5m Boat

olitay

Hi Raiders, here is a silly question. I have a 3HP 2 stroke outboard in the shed and was wondering if I could use it as an auxilary on my 7.5 M boat. I know it would be substantially unpowered however as an absolute emergency option do you think it will even move the boat?

The reason i like the idea is cause there is no need for an alternate fuel tank as per the bigger outboards and its sitting there doing nothing so i guess its worth a try?.

Thoughts?

G'day Billy.

I think a 3hp would be seriously under powered as a backup. Any wind or current & you would be going backwards.

I think you would need an absolute minimum of 15 hp to push a boat of that size & even then that would struggle at times.

Sell the 3hp mate!!

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Billy, I agree with the other guys, but mate since you have it why not try it next time when you are on the water-it would hold you if have another problem like you had a few weeks ago. If it does not push it and I do not think it would either you can then look at upsizig.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Billy,

coupla years ago borrowed my mates 3.6M tinny with a 25HP mariner on the back, also had a 5 HP mariner as an aux.

Drove up the river from oatley to picnic point on a falling tide, took about 25 mins , fished for a while, went to start the 25HP and it wouldnt go.

Thought Oh well ... she'll be right we've got the Aux////

Started first pull and off we went, only problem was the tide had turned, well with a little 3.6m tinny and a 5 HP it took us 2 and a half hours to get back to Oatley!.

Sell the donk, it aint big enough.

Cheers

Chris