Monofilament For Groper

Juzza

Iv been using platypus platinum monofilament, mostly bottom bashing off the rocks. I find that it has really high stretch and somehow it takes away the sensation of bites. In some situations it is great (off the beach) but off the rocks somehow i feel it gives the fish too much leeway.

I dont particularly want to use braid either...

Can anyone recommend something that will fit into this category? Looking for something wiht a breaking strain of around 60lb. Hopefully i can catch one of these bigger brutes in the ocean. In case you were wondering, ill probably be releasing anything blue =]

Cheers,

Justin :1fishing1:

Iv been using platypus platinum monofilament, mostly bottom bashing off the rocks. I find that it has really high stretch and somehow it takes away the sensation of bites. In some situations it is great (off the beach) but off the rocks somehow i feel it gives the fish too much leeway.

I dont particularly want to use braid either...

Can anyone recommend something that will fit into this category? Looking for something wiht a breaking strain of around 60lb. Hopefully i can catch one of these bigger brutes in the ocean. In case you were wondering, ill probably be releasing anything blue =]

Cheers,

Hi Juzza some of the fluoro lines are low stretch most fluoro lines are quite good and quite cheap too even at say 60lb, and genuine fluoro leader material is the dearer one also low stretch but together they make quite a good combination even if you only use them in front of what's already there around the same weight

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

You already mention your two disadvantages .. can't detect bites to strike and also too much stretch on fights - go braid IMO.

I've been using 40lb braid and 30+lb flouro leader for groper off the rocks. Been able to skull drag a 30cm model which was released - I am after the bigguns....

The other guys I fish with use 80lb and 100lb braid and locked drags one of them a saltiga exp ... once hooked up, they call for a backup being someone to hold on to them :)

I have hit the inevitable snag and I thought I was going to rip my arms off trying to get it off so I personally would not want to use too much heavier line than 40lb braid unless I miss too many 60+cm fish - then I might reconsider.

However, I believe one of the old school guns I fish with uses mono on an alvey - I will find out exactly what he uses for you but I doubt it is anything special. He is so old school that if he could jump in and wrestle the groper out, he would.

Anyway ... how do you find using mono for groper ? As you said, you miss a lot of the touches and braid is fantastic for feeling your rig touching the reef/bottom or as it gets picked by a groper, striking and also for keeping the fights short.

I guess feeling the bite isnt a particularly a big thing, cuz when theyve swallowed it...you know they're there and it will try to reef you. Its just the power and leverage over the fish. I guess the use of braid wouldnt matter since most of the time you're going to skull drag the fish out of its home. You just have to make sure you give plenty of time for them to swallow it or you'll end up ripping its rubberly lips in the fight..(thats something hard to do..).

You also have to think about chaffing on the rocks!

Thanks guys, i might actually consider using braid. Currently have a daiwa black and gold spinning reels in both sizes. Do you guys have any idea how braid would go on those reels?

Cheers,

i've been catching these brutes for a couple of years now starting with mono but now i've swithched to 80lb GTavani braid and 80-100lb leader. the gt avani braid is expensive but it's really worth the money. no wind knots, thinner than other braid of same strength and it casts like a dream. i have been using this setup for more than a yr now and i never had any problem. i caught anything from 1lb to 20lb.

i reckon u can get away with 60lb braid and 60-80lb leader

cheers

bertrand