Newest Project

ant180

Hi

I have just been given a fiberglass hull on a trailer the likes of which I have never seen before. It is like a tiny little 1 person speedboat, wide and ultra low at the stern, and a super pointy bow. It is forward controlled, with old school cable and pulley steering (which is going in the bin). The topside of the hull is enclosed except for where the driver sits, basically with your bum on the waterline and the top of the hull maybe 40cm above. The whole shebang is super light, two people can lift the hull and trailer right off the ground. It looks like it will be a heap of fun on flat water without the need for a PWC license.

The hull looks to be in great nick except for someones idea of a transom mod to run a shorter shaft motor (No problem to repair).

My main questions are:

What size engine would get this thing to 30-40 odd knots? I'm taking a stab in the dark at 30hp with an appropriately pitched prop to suit the light hull

How do i find out the max transom weight?

What are these hulls originally built for?

Are these things even able to have a decent size motor bolted up and then flogged around the river?

Hehe

I appreciate that the post isn't really fishing related. It WOULD be fun flicking for kings inside pittwater, however! The fun and solitude of a yak with the speed of a boat kind of appeals to me. Just need to find a spot for the downrigger and sounder (or not).

Hmm, a lure I could troll at 40mph. Sounds like a recipe for loosing 800m of 15kg in about 45 seconds. Let alone if i actually get a strike.

Hi mate,

a photo would be a big help but it sounds a lot like the boats you can hire on the gold coast called "larks" I believe. They run 6 or 8 hp on them from memory and they go real good, I don't think they will handle that sort of power and I think it would fly with a 15hp on the back.

Does it resemble the boats that usually race in man made circuits ( In DAMS and LAKES ) ???

( I know these usually run V8's but there is a smaller version of them and it sounds like the one you have)

If so, you might be surprised what size outboard you can put on there...

Either way, ought to be a blast!!!

Edited by Anroco

You simply can't post something like this without a picture....otherwise it leaves us to our imagination.

See I'm thinking something like

Now seriously, wait for it....wait....wait......wait then...................BOOM! :1yikes:

Insane.

So you could get to your fishing in around 0.5 seconds but your decky will probably still be somewhere between middle head & parramata :biggrin2:

C'mon, give us a preveiw of the insanity you're about to undertake, if for no other reason that for us to tell you how crazy you are.

See I'm thinking something like

Now seriously, wait for it....wait....wait......wait then...................BOOM! :1yikes:

It wouldn't be a bad idea to fish back at the start of the wake while the driver and his mate are digging the boat back out of the mud at the end of the wake :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Ant, yes mate they are "toy" ski boats based on larger boats like Bullets, Tennesses, Macho craft and the like. I used to have one and they are great fun. You do need a short shaft unless you modify the transom, which I would not personally due to raising the centre of gravity and I had a worked 15HP Evinrude on mine and latter updated to a 25HP and it hit those sort of speeds when I was younger and lighter.

Any specific questions please ask,

Cheers,

Huey.

Couple of my mates had these types of boats, i think they might even have one in the shed still.

They had 25hp and 30hp tohatsus on the back and they went pretty good with one skinny kid on board, but these days would definitely be begging for 50hp+ :thumbup: