Shark Attack At Mona Vale Beach

arpie

Hi all

Channel Nine has just announce a surfer was attacked by a shark this morning at Mona Vale Beach. He is recovering in Mona Vale Hospital.

The surfer says it was a Great White shark

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi all

Channel Nine has just announce a surfer was attacked by a shark this morning at Mona Vale Beach. He is recovering in Mona Vale Hospital.

The surfer says it was a Great White shark

There will be more on attack after the 9am news

cheers

Roberta

It's a chilling story

Surfer bitten in Sydney shark attack

GEORGINA ROBINSON

February 11, 2010 - 9:07AM

A man is in hospital after being attacked by a shark on Sydney's Northern Beaches this morning.

Police said the man was in the water at Basin Bay, just north of Mona Vale Beach, when a shark bit him on his left leg about 8am.

Do you know more? Message 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764) or email us or direct message us on Twitter @smh_news with information or images.

The man made it out of the water and his wife drove him to Mona Vale Hospital, where he is in a stable condition, receiving treatment.

The man was surfing with his 10-year-old son when the attack occurred, the Manly Daily reported.

Police said the shark was 1.2 metres long, but the man told the paper it was a two-metre great white.

"I was pushing my son on to waves and it just belted [me]," he said.

"I grabbed on to the pinnacle of a rock and held on as it tried to drag me out.... and I won."

Bystanders said the man grabbed on to the rocks to pull himself to shore and the shark tried to drag him back into the water.

The man managed to break free and get to shore.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/surfer-bitt...00211-nszo.html

oooooh - ....my bro surfs here every day just spoke to him he doesnt seem too concerned he will be surfing this afternoon.....

I'd just make sure I wasn't swimming there at dawn, dusk or low light conditions (possibly even cloudy days!!)

I lived at Mona Vale throughout the 60s & there were often sharks sightings - Palm Beach, too & eveyone had to leave the water when the siren went off.

Roberta

Better to be safe than in hospital or dead!

Father in Law lives on the South Coast Tuross, which has now been cleared by the wet.

Some surfers were out of there the other day with some seals when a White came out beside them and cut a seal in half.

I believe brown stains and walking on water were occuring at the same time. :1yikes:

received a phone call at 8.30am from a mate working near the beach [eric]and told me of the attack

it was paul a keen surfer and blackie fisho paul knows mona vale basin like the back of his hand swims or surfs there 3or4times a week

so glad it was not his son another mate was about a kilometer out from the basin fishing from his kayak

lets hope its not too bad and he recovers soon

peter :1fishing1:

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear it is a buddy of yours! Hope he is OK.

Obviously, the fact that his wife took him to the hospital & didn't need an ambulance means it wasn't an horrific attack (and the hospital is right on the beach, virtually!) - but an attack is an attack & if he'd been further out & more sharks were hanging around, (or it got his son) ...... who knows what could have happened?

I would not be trivialising the attack at all. If a major artery had been slashed, it could have been a different story - and even small sharks could do that!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I've heard it was a Wobbe too. Was told he trod on it and it reacted.

Glad he's ok but seriously...what a beat up, especially if he has called it for a white as reported.

The media has been frothing for an attack this summer. What a HUGE over reaction. :1yikes:

Slabslinger

Father in Law lives on the South Coast Tuross, which has now been cleared by the wet.

Some surfers were out of there the other day with some seals when a White came out beside them and cut a seal in half.

I believe brown stains and walking on water were occuring at the same time. :1yikes:

now THAT is a story wow

crazy shit :wacko:

You would have to be pretty dam stupid to be out surfing with a group of seals

seals are the whites main food group

when surfers get attacked by whites it's due to the shark mistaking it for a seal

being around seals in the water is just asking for trouble