Quick Squid Session

gobbledock

Thats a great haul of ceph there. Nice work.

Just a question - why dont you collect your squid in the morning prior to targetting Kings? How effective do you find frozen squid versus live/fresh? Has anyone done any tests on this i.e. fished side by side a mate with different baits on?

Personally, I like the thought of using live squid whenever possible. It would outfish dead/frozen nearly everytime.

I would be interested in other Raiders thoughts.

I dont freeze them just keep them in a cold fridge, air tight. The heads nearly always get hit by kings but ive noticed the strips are less effective over freshly caught squid tubes. And yes we still hit the squiding grounds early in the morning. But its always good to have a plan B if the squid dont bite on the day. In my experiance its all about how fussy the kings are on the day, as ive seen them turn there nose up at a freshly caught squid and other days they would hit my 4 day old (Fridged) squid

Just a question - why dont you collect your squid in the morning prior to targetting Kings? How effective do you find frozen squid versus live/fresh? Has anyone done any tests on this i.e. fished side by side a mate with different baits on?

Personally, I like the thought of using live squid whenever possible. It would outfish dead/frozen nearly everytime.

Hey Elk

We have side by side with other raiders using "fresh" dead squid versus there live squid. Sometimes the live squid out fishes the fresh dead squid and vice versa. But if Gregs record is anything to go by the "fresh dead" squid is just as good as the live ones, he never misses a beat, and with the exception of living in Townsville last year for 9-11months he has caught kingys every month of the year as far back as 2006. Not bad considering our live bait tank is not big enough, and only used for yakkas.

Dan & Greg

Nice catch of squid there mate & good luck tommorow. :thumbup:

A trick I used to use to great effect was to let the squid ink all over themselves in the bag. I try to not let them ink in the water. Don't want to lose the good stuff. :biggrin2: It can get a bit messy though.

I've found a squid strip covered in ink & guts will always outfish a clean strip.

Cheers,

Grant.

Going out tomorrow in the harbour with my 48hr old squid hopefully there around. Heres a pic of what they look like 48hrs laterpost-10853-1265963667_thumb.jpg

those squid dont look half bad they still have color / pigmentation

the eyes are still have some green in them although they are now white colored let us know how you go as i always freeze mine double bagged

mike

Edited by hooklineandsinker

G'day Elk,

The way you fish for squid I would stick to the fish markets squid if I were you .... it is always nice to be squidding and king fishing in the same outing.

That is just for mine.

those squid dont look half bad they still have color / pigmentation

the eyes are still have some green in them although they are now white colored let us know how you go as i always freeze mine double bagged

mike

Check out the report Sydney Kings, we didnt catch any fresh on the day and all were caught on 48hr old squid