Lost Jewey With 5 Y/o Hugo On Board The Kayak

jenno64

After a morning of soccer boot & food shopping and with one eye on the weather, I got home to find Seabreeze was reading the wind had dropped right off. I asked my five year old Hugo if he was keen for an hour or two out on the yak and he was so we packed up and hit the Georges just before the tide bottomed out.

With one rod each, I gave Hugo my fav ZX30 that he had success with a fortnight ago and I tied on a special lure...Hodgey had sent me up a pack of 5 lures that he no longer uses for flatty trolling. I picked out a pink and orange Nilsmaster from his selection and we pedalled over to my sneaky low tide spot, with Hugo perched on the Outback’s front hatch.

On the second pass, my new Stradic was screaming and I explained to Hugo that he needed to reel in his lure, After an initial run of about 50m, I turned the Outback and chased the fish. It turned and headed toward the deeper water near a pontoon, then held the bottom with some good head shakes. I turned the yak again and the little guy was a bit worried as he didn’t want a big jewey in the yak with us. I managed to get up onto the flats and the fish came with me. In 4’ of water I had the beast under the yak and just as my leader knot appeared above the surface, a violent headshake ended the episode.

I would have loved to have landed it but the decision to use 10lb leader on my rod and 14lb on my son’s may have been fatal. Still, it was a great event and similar to another lost one in the same spot 3 weeks ago. Sorry no pics but I did have the little guy on the phone to my wife for the last 30 seconds of the battle. I will discuss this further with Hodgey, no doubt!

A shame you did all the hard work to get it to the boat, Rob, only to lose it at the bitter end ... bugga! :( I can sympathise with Hugo. After seeing the size of the last jewie you landed in your outback, I wouldn't want it in the yak with us either! :biggrin2:

Good to read that you're using the lures with success mate. One down; four to go :074:

Cheers

Ian

Well done on hooking him, Rob, but bad luck on losing him & your lure too. :( Just as well you didn't land him or you'd have to have thrown the smaller one back ..... Hugo!! No wonder he didn't want you to land him!! :biggrin2:

Roberta

I need you to come up here & suss some jewie spots out for me in my yak! :wacko: