Coila Lake Is Opened

Hodgey

For several years now, Coila lake has been closed to the sea. Once home to bruising tailor and terrific prawn runs, it had become a shadow of its former self. It has now received the life-giving support it needs ... the entrance has been opened :thumbup::biggrin2:

post-3198-126627292917_thumb.jpg

post-3198-126627294712_thumb.jpg

post-3198-12662729679_thumb.jpg

The rest of the coast line looks pretty ordinary at the moment though and it is going to take a couple of weeks for both Coila and Tuross Lakes to settle down

post-3198-126627305049_thumb.jpg

post-3198-126627306965_thumb.jpg

post-3198-126627309084_thumb.jpg

post-3198-126627313799_thumb.jpg

One can only wonder at the fantastic opportunities that await fishos when the water settles and the tidal flow has rejuvenated both lakes. :yahoo:

G'Day Hodgey,

Is that the lake "on the other side"?? We wondered about the lake when driving in and out of town and wondered why we never seen any boats in it.

Did the council open it up as well?

We go months without rain then ALL at once!

I have 5 days off coming up, very tempted to head down, hopefully the conditions will have improved!

Regards,

Rob

Thanks for the updates on the south coast lake systems. We were down at christmas for a month and have not seen the estuaries that low in over 40 years. I actually learnt to fish in dalmeny lake in a little rowing boat we had! so the area has many fond memories.

Did fish Dalmeny lake and spun a few flat head and very large tailor!

Thank you Hodgey

Hi Ian

Good to see Coila is open too - can't believe the amount of water you guys have had!! We had a bit of drizzle yesterday & today is sunny again!! May go out & have a go with topwater again without hooks ....... try & video some bloops!!

Gee, the fishing down your way should really go off once the dirty water clears (or during, as you found out the other day with Dene 7 the flatties!!)

Looking forward to more reports !:D

Cheerio

Roberta

That's a great site Hodgey. Has Mummaga @ Dalmeny and Corunna further south and the other lakes opened up? Will Coila stay open do you think?

Peter

GDay Peter

I heard yesterday that Mummaga had been opened. I will try and find out about Corunna for you today.

The entrance to Coila is quite narrow, and the sides are basically sand ledges. I expect a fair bit more runoff to come through which will hopefully scour the entrance deeper, but I think eventually the sand will build back up again as it did in this instance. Fingers crossed that is a long time away ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

G'Day Hodgey,

Is that the lake "on the other side"?? We wondered about the lake when driving in and out of town and wondered why we never seen any boats in it.

Did the council open it up as well?

We go months without rain then ALL at once!

I have 5 days off coming up, very tempted to head down, hopefully the conditions will have improved!

Regards,

Rob

Yep, that's the lake on the left hand side as you drive into Tuross, Rob. The council cut a shallow trench and the tides/rainfall did the rest :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the update and it is truly wonderful to see that Coila is finally open again too.

I hope to drive down on Thursday to have a look in case it doesn't last long, as I frequently caught large bream, lots of prawns and even occies there as a teenager. Watching it continue to deteriorate in recent years has been difficult.

Please do keep us posted.

Thanks for the pics Hodgey....

I have word that Mummaga, Corruna and Brou are all open... :thumbup:

Axe

You're welcome mate. I knew you would appreciate them after your recent inquiries ;)

Excellent news about the other lakes opening. Looks like the Far South Coast will be a fisho's paradise in months to come! :thumbup:

You're welcome mate. I knew you would appreciate them after your recent inquiries ;)

Excellent news about the other lakes opening. Looks like the Far South Coast will be a fisho's paradise in months to come! :thumbup:

Yep, Exciting times !!....

For anyone else interested, search Youtube for some videos of the Tuross opening.

Axe

It seems I might be timing my visit in 3 weeks to perfection. :yahoo:

Have already heard that the beaches are starting to fire with good salmon and tailor, "on before you could get the bail arm closed" was the exact words. One guy ran out of bait and switched to plastics and the fun continued, I can't wait.

Cheers, Dave.