Garfish As Bait?

5ky

Hi all, just wondering what fish can be targeted with garfish, and also how do pple hook them? on gang hooks or cut into cubes? or how should i hook on a whole garfish? fresh ones not live

Thanks alll

Just treat them like oversized pilchards. They're great for bait spinning on ganged hooks for Kingies, Tailor, Bonito, Salmon & so on. Fillets of fresh gar are great for almost anything. A great snapper bait. Garfish are a staple in the diet of many fish.

Cheers, Slinky

I agree with Slinky they make great bait for Pelagic fish of all sorts the only down fall is there cost. To fish it Put a whole Garfish on a gang of 4 hooks, wrap the beak to the top gang with some spider cotton so it stays sturdie then cast it out and bring in like a popper splashing on the surface thats how the BIG Kings love it i learned it from Alex Bellismo. If the fish are slow that day or if you wanna troll them put a rubber squid over the head of the gar to give it exra colour.

what does spinning bait mean? is that liek throwing it out in the water and slowly retrieve them like a lure?

basically yeh spinning = lure fishing :P but you can do it with gar's as well or even troll them/downrig them etc.. too :)