Big Kingy's - Trolling Sydney Harbour

cheezndave

Decided to go for an early session yesterday morning with my mate Ben.

Launched at Rose Bay (2nd time i've launched there and i think it's the crappest boatramp, especially compared to the ones around botany bay).

Loaded up with about 10 live squid straight up and then headed to middle head for some yakka's.

Managed to get half dozen yakka's and thought that should be enough considering i have plently of live squid.

Anyways trolled 1st location with 1 x live squid & 1 x live yakka - NOTHING

Then decided to try Longreef, trolled some skirts and teasers up there - NOTHING

Messed around at longreef for a bit whilst on the drift - NOTHING

Jetted back to Syd harbour and tried 2nd spot.

1st troll and bang, the yakka gets nailed. After a solid 5min fight and the TLD30 getting a good workout, i land this monster - 98cm Kingy

post-9004-126732769721_thumb.jpg

2nd troll and bang, the yakka goes off again. Bens turn to bring him in - 60cm Bonito

post-9004-126732777767_thumb.jpg

3rd troll we decide to troll 2 yakkas in lieu of the 1. And again bang, this time double hook up, Fortunately Ben was successful in bringing to the boat a 70cm king, my fish spat the hook. (sorry no pics)

4th troll and final yakka in the tank deployed - Bang, TLD goes off yet again. Ben lands another good size king around the 1m mark (between 8-10 kgs).

post-9004-126732770423_thumb.jpg

See you guys out there next weekend, hopefully our special little spot will give me something to write about again.

Cheers,

Dave

Onya Dave, your patience has paid off. Were you downrigging?

I guess you could say downrigging, but with the poor mans downrigger.

Snapper sinker onto an elastic band, onto the main line.

It did the job.

I also want to add that none of the squid got touched whilst on the troll, the preferred bait was the yakka. Worked a treat.

Cheers,

Dave

hey champ, so i assume you caught the kings trolling or did you stop and drop the yakkas down?

If trolling, were the yakkas deep, or near the surface travelling about 3-4knotts?

Sorry to sound confusing but just curious, last week at bluefish i had a yakka out on the surface, and coped a good hit and snapped my rod holder (plastic).

hey champ, so i assume you caught the kings trolling or did you stop and drop the yakkas down?

If trolling, were the yakkas deep, or near the surface travelling about 3-4knotts?

Sorry to sound confusing but just curious, last week at bluefish i had a yakka out on the surface, and coped a good hit and snapped my rod holder (plastic).

All fish were caught on the troll. I was able to keep the baits down a couple of metres via the poor mans downrigger. The average water depth was about 10m.

We did get 1 or 2 snags when coming a bit too close to the rocks and into 5m water depth but thats the risk you take when downrigging unless you know where the shallow sections are.

Trolling speed - 2 knots (2.5 max), i know its slow but its the only way to keep the yakka alive and swimming naturally through the water.

We didnt stop and anchor or drift as we were pretty close to the rocks.

Regards,

Dave