Crocodile On The Flats

pmak

Been hitting Woolooware Bay lately for a mixture of flats fishing, oyster racks and topwater breaming with my two boys.

No. 1 son has had his fishing enthusiasm revived lately with the action this bay has provided including some notable captures on hard bodied lures and surface walkers.

Forecast for today was promising - high tide 9am-ish with a mild northerly. Guess what - we had a southerly and choppy water. Canned the topwaters and went to soft plastics.

The big bream were notably absent which contrasted with the high numbers of flathead today. After numerous throwbacks, No. 1 gets 'snagged' and while I whipped the electric around to try to get the jighead back, his 'snag' makes a few head shakes. His drag was done up reasonably tight as we were near the oyster racks so I knew this was a good fish.

Being a veteran of big flathead catching (previous PB 73cm), he kept his cool, let the fish take drag when it wanted to, kept the rod tip down to prevent head shakes and this Woolooware Bay beauty slid into the net.

post-3388-126734247971_thumb.jpg

The fish measured 86cm on the lie detector.

post-3388-12673424908_thumb.jpg

Needless to say, he was one happy camper. The girl was carefully released to be caught by some other lucky angler in future.

Being the kid he is (turns 10 this year), he spent the rest of the morning alternating between playing on his Nintendo DSi and catching more flathead!! Kids these days ....

Edited by pmak

Awesome croc their for No. 1 son congratulations....and a very proud dad to boot (just as I would be).

I'm doing a Father/son trip this weekend with my about to turn 10 yr old....might make sure the DS stay at home to keep him focused on the fishing.

Well done guys its good to see you get amongst them unlike myself

had no time to do squat which i should try abit harder and fit more

fishing in my busy life the LUND is begging for a good fish sesh,

Also congrats on your boy with the Beaut flatty wow :1yikes: ,

well done boyz im too envious :thumbup:

Cheers Rizzo :biggrin2:

Thanks for all the nice words fellow Raiders. No. 1 son requested his catch be put up on Fishraider - gets a buzz and keeps him motivated. Also reaffirms his decision to practice C&R when he knows fellow Raiders show support.

Rizzo - you can't let that Lund sit idle. My boys are egging me to get a proper tournament style boat like yours - they've been watching too much AFC Outdoors methinks!

Poddy Trapper - hope you have a great time with your son. Make sure you have lots of drinks and snacks on board. Giving SPs a go or using bait? Sometimes having the portable games on board allows me some peace and quiet to concentrate on my fishing! Also keeps me sane as I don't have to deal with comments like "it's boring Dad, can we go home?" When the fishing's good, they put the games away anyway. I think I could write a thesis about kids and fishing as I have mine with me most of the time. They can be a real joy to have on the boat and then there are times when I wish they were still asleep in bed at home ....