Reel Advice

dmad_dood

Hello, i recently got myself a new reel ( stradic 2500fi witch is absolutely awesome! ) and now my dads decided he wants a new reel. Hes been looking at the shimano bait runner 8000d but thinks its a bit to expensive, what other similar reels are out there worth taking a look at.

Thanks everyone,

Jono

Hey mate it does really come down to U GET WHAT U PAY FOR.. If he wants to chase big kings then spend a bit more, the Shimano Stella 8000 is great and he wont be disappointed. I own an 8000 and 20000 & they have both done a lot of work, the 8000 from the US is about the $700 mark and its a good size, not big and not to small... Goodluck Cheers Matt

What sort of budget are you looking at? If the shimano baitrunner is too expensive then im guessing your looking to spend around the 180-200 dollar mark? I would recommend the shimano spheros. You can possibly pick the older model (Spheros FA)up for about 175. Thats if they have any stock left. Also what sort of rod is the reel going on. Ive used a spheros for a while now and ive never been happier. If you want to spend a little extra then the saragosa would be a top reel as well. It is a little heavy but when you use it, it feels like you can catch a whale. Although the stella is an awesome reel, i wouldnt recommend it as it would definitely be out of your price range.

Daiwa and Penn also have a wide range in your price range, im using a saragosa 14000 at the moment for fishing of the rocks with a 12" rod. Its heavy but im used to it.

Good luck with the reel, hope you get the one your looking for

Edited by steze

Thanks everyone for the help.

It think his looking around the $200.00 mark so give or take a bit. What about the daiwa exceller?? thats also been suggested. My dad really likes the baitrunner feature on the 8000d but besides that he just wants something smooth and very reliable (knowing he wont be as vigilant with cleaning as i am).

Thanks again everyone!

Jono

Hey Jono,

For someone who wants a robust reel with a good drag and unbreakable guts... and who wants it to be a little forgiving of less than perfect maintenance, you can't go past a Penn Spinfisher. Probably the 650ssm is the closest in size.

Baitrunner systems sound great and lots of people love them. I had 3 and the number of times I had a practical reason for using the baitrunner feature I could count on 1 hand. While I don't know much about the new 'D' series, the originals are great, tough, dependable reels (although they can do with a drag upgrade IMHO).

The killer based on what you've said is that Baitrunners are relatively complicated and don't like not being looked after. The Penn on the other hand is, while it can be considered 'old tech', simple, reliable and dependable. Very easy to service yourself if anything should go wrong. A Spinfisher is also about 1/2 the price of a Baitrunner D

That said, any reel will last a whole lot longer and work a whole lot better for some basic maintenance.

Cheers, Slinky

Found this on e-bay check this reel out when i put the link up something happens it dont paste correctly so this is what it says check it out could it be a good reel or crap.... PELAGIC HYPAFIN 9000 SRX-2 GAME SPINNING FISHING REEL

2010 15-24KG DRAG,ALLOY BODY,BRASS GEARS,STAINLESS DRAG .NEW PELAGIC EXTREME HYPAFIN SRX 9000 PRO EXTREME SERIES (RED) Spinning Fishing Reel - Perfect for GT'S, KINGFISH and TUNA

2010 15-24KG DRAG,ALLOY BODY,BRASS GEARS,STAINLESS DRAG

Found this on e-bay check this reel out when i put the link up something happens it dont paste correctly so this is what it says check it out could it be a good reel or crap.... PELAGIC HYPAFIN 9000 SRX-2 GAME SPINNING FISHING REEL

2010 15-24KG DRAG,ALLOY BODY,BRASS GEARS,STAINLESS DRAG .NEW PELAGIC EXTREME HYPAFIN SRX 9000 PRO EXTREME SERIES (RED) Spinning Fishing Reel - Perfect for GT'S, KINGFISH and TUNA

2010 15-24KG DRAG,ALLOY BODY,BRASS GEARS,STAINLESS DRAG

Hi Fishergirl,

That's because e-bay links are against site rules so will be filtered.

Please all members, keep those site rules in mind... some are there to protect our sponsors without whom Fishraider wouldn't exist.

Cheers, Slinky

I'd never buy any rods or reels from online shop. They are not cheap even more expensive than brand one. The quatity is crap too.

I agree. I like to go out to the shops and physically hold the reel or rod in my hand. Pictures on the internet are not enough for me.

I also agree with slinky on the 2 reels he has suggested. I have the penn reel he was talking about and it works perfectly fine. I had that reel when i first started fishing as it fitted my low budget range perfectly and it did everything that i wanted it to. The Bait runner ia also very good so i dont have anything bad to say about any of those reels.

if your dad likes the new baitrunner 8000D and dosnt like the price tag (as they are fairly expensive) get him to have a look at the 6500B. There the older modle but still are great. The main advantages is the 8000D has a more metal in it so its more sturdy and it has bigger sizes. the main bennerfit is the 6500B is cheaper (anound 100 bucks i think) and it is slighty lighter. the 6500B is a great reel i hav one and i run 30lb braid on it and i love it. i hav used it for light knife jiggin and i hav caught a few nice size kings and it has handled them no problems.

the other reel i sugest is a shimano spheros 8000 or 14000. it is a great jiggin real when the drag and hangle is upgraded. i got my mum the 14000 for christmas and she loves it comared to her old 20 special were the line was worth 4x more than the reel.

if u havent noticed i like my shimanos because of the 10yr warrenty and there services are great.

have a look on the shimano website for more specs and details

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index.html

hope this helps

mitch

Hello everyone,

What about the Daiwa GS-9, we are current using. Even though it is a slow reel with a low ratio 3.3:1 but it has alot of torque. This is low maintenance reel and within your price range.

Please see if you can get the reel that made in Japan (new ones are made in Thailand)

Good luck