Had A Crack At Some Whiting

Bruce the Postie

G'day All,

I have been having a go at the local whiting population lately,i have been getting some good fish,but a lot of unders, and overs for that matter,have been hooked very deep causing me to either cut the trace or maybe cause damage to the fish trying by to release it.

So today i thought i would try some small circle hooks that i had laying around(#4 i think)and see how i went.Well,i did'nt catch as many fish,but all fish were of a better quality and all were pinned nicley in the corner of the jaw.

From this little experiment,i have concluded that i will be using circle hooks a lot more especialy for my estuary fishing.

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

P.s. Sorry,i forgot the bloody camera :ranting2:

G'day All,

I have been having a go at the local whiting population lately,i have been getting some good fish,but a lot of unders, and overs for that matter,have been hooked very deep causing me to either cut the trace or maybe cause damage to the fish trying by to release it.

So today i thought i would try some small circle hooks that i had laying around(#4 i think)and see how i went.Well,i did'nt catch as many fish,but all fish were of a better quality and all were pinned nicley in the corner of the jaw.

From this little experiment,i have concluded that i will be using circle hooks a lot more especialy for my estuary fishing.

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

P.s. Sorry,i forgot the bloody camera :ranting2:

I have the same issues with Bream in my local rivers, I fish with size 8 and size 10 long shanks, the swallow rate is less than small suicides or occy hooks

Prefer to stick with the long shanks though, am thinking of upgrading to size 4 for the bigger models.

Still great fun on light line :)