South Coast Tuross And Conjola Trip

I'd promised my eldest (age 10) that I'd take him away on a boys weekend some time back....So a couple of weeks back I lined up with the Tuross master a Saturday that we could hook up attack a few fish....With the river only just being opened a few weeks back Hodgey and I kept in constant contact with the weekly river / fishing status....

Given there had been a good couple of weeks break from the heavy rain we decided we'd give Tuross a nudge.

After pulling Jnr Poddy out of school on the Friday, we made our way south and arrived in a very windy Tuross around 3pm. Just enough time to duck out for a late session....fairly tough in the wind but we did manage a couple of smaller lizards....At one stage I hooked what I thought was a massive ray so rather than chasing it around the bay for the next half an hour on 4lb, I just tightened up and busted it off.....it was only later when Hodgey laughed at me and said "hmmm, the last 2 x 90 plus flatty's we got here we called for big rays' :1badmood::ranting2:

However, we did get to see a wallaby, swim across the river get out and jump away and a very cute echidnar at the boat ramp.

In the morning, the plan was set to fish the last hour of the run out and grab a lot of fresh on the run in (the lake is still cleansing itself from the re-opening).

It didn't take long to get in position for the first drift of the morning and only took the master about 4 casts before he nailed a solid 62cm lizard, which Jnr Poddy netted....great start for the day we all thought as he gave her a quick swim and let her go....

post-4925-126795768913_thumb.jpg

On we fished but the tide took about 2 hours longer to turn than anticipated and the fishing was tough....we did hit a few fish around the 40 mark and a couple on little tackers which is good sign for the future.

We did catchup with another raider Dene who'd also reported a tough day on the water and had a coffee at the Boat shed where another raider resides.

As luck would have it on our last drift of the day and probably one of the last casts of the day I came up tight on a 64 cm girl which gave me some serious curry and brought many smiles on board as Jnr Poddy nailed the long awaited net shot. Couple of pics and back she went. A great way a top off the great day on the water.

post-4925-126795824589_thumb.jpg

post-4925-126795829499_thumb.jpg

We dropped Hodgey back to the Boat ramp and said our good bye's....(thanks for showing us the lay of the land mate....we had a great time....Jnr Poddy was asking we all these questions on the drive back to Conjola, like...."So who's the better fisherman? Hodgey, Guesty or Bushy"....we did fish on a little longer and Jnr Poddy did manage a 40 cm lizard but there wasn't much else to brag about other than another visit from the freindly dolphins)

We headed back to Conjola that afternoon and managed a quick popper sesh over the flats and hit a nice 28 cm breambo in the shallows and a small flatty on popper....great way to finish the day, a quick pizza and into bed.

This morning we made our way out onto the Lake Conjla and once again pulled out the poppers....action stations as the breambo's and whiting were giving the little prawns curry in the shallows....must have pulled half a dozen breamo's...best to 32cm and three solid whiting to 35cm.

post-4925-126795896637_thumb.jpg

post-4925-126795899207_thumb.jpg

We fished on with plastics and it got a little tougher....we did manage a couple of flatty's and Jnr Poddy lost a cracker toward the end of the session. I did manage a 35 cm whiting on a 4' minow that was meant for a flatty. PB whiting on placcy.

post-4925-126795902782_thumb.jpg

About 11.30 we called it quits and headed for home. So that concluded our boys weekend one which will stick in the memory banks for years to come....I even managed to get the lawns done at home, backwash the pool and a family bike ride.

It was awesome hanging out with my eldest for a couple of days straight, something I will make sure I do again in the near future...funny my littlest bloke is now at me to take him away on a similar trip....I guess my arm could be twisted....

post-4925-126795909727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Top report mate, some great fishing and :greatpics:. It is good to catch up with Raiders and have them show you thier part of the world like Hodgey did,

that's one of the things I like about this site.

Sounds like a cracker weekend with a great variety of critters caught and a fun time with your son. :thumbup:

It was great to catch up with you both on Saturday, mate. :1fishing1: Even with fairly mediocre conditions we managed to find a few fish. Looks like you had a great time at Conjola! :thumbup:

Kyle is a terrific young bloke. Polite, inquisitive, very capable with lures and landing net ... and he is only ten! He is a credit to his parents and a pleasure to fish with. I look forward to fishing with you again one day Kyle ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks to all for the kinds words....our sport really lends itsself to spending quality with others and to do it with your own flesh and blood is a real privilege....

It was great to catch up with you both on Saturday, mate. :1fishing1: Even with fairly mediocre conditions we managed to find a few fish. Looks like you had a great time at Conjola! :thumbup:

Kyle is a terrific young bloke. Polite, inquisitive, very capable with lures and landing net ... and he is only ten! He is a credit to his parents and a pleasure to fish with. I look forward to fishing with you again one day Kyle ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

Mate he will be in like flynn, thanks a billion.

Great photos too! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

I should have credited Kyle with the pics from Conjola he did a great job and you guessed it now wants his own camera :1prop::1prop:

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Tuross is a great place and sounds like the surface bite at Lake Conjola was very good. Regardless of the location or activity, time spent with your kids is gold. Well done :thumbup:

Top report Poddy and Jr poddy

Now that sounds like a great father and son bonding weekend and something we all should do a little more. It's amazing the little things the kids remember forever and the simple things in life we take for granted and that we need to stop sometimes and smell the roses.....

Looking forward to round 2 with mini poddy! LOL

Good work Hodgey on your endless generousity in your South Coast flattie skills, a true gentleman of the fishwebbers.....

GregL

That's a great story and fantastic to see fishos like poddytrapper and Hodgey banging heads with a young bloke in tow. What better grounding could a youngster have. Hodgey, your description of mediocre conditions still produced some very nice fins!