Buying A Tinny

camotec

Hey Guys,

I have my eye on a tinny which is advertised for $1000 ono. and I just want to share some pics with you and get some advice on things I should ask the person that maynot be apparent. I have checked the hull and it has had a few repairs but the price includes the motor and trailer and both are registered until July 2010.

I dunno what the motor is yet, but are there things I should be checking on the motor other than making sure it starts?

Here are some pictures

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

Any help would be awesome. I only want something to get me out on the water and dont want to outlay a whole lot to start with and then later I will buy a nice 16 footer or something lol.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

I don't like the look of that mate, you can get something alot nicer for your money.

I'd go out on a few boats and spend some time getting a feel for boats before you take the plunge. It may even be wise to borrow a little money so you can spend $3000 or so which will get you a much SAFER more seaworthy craft.

Cheers

Sammy

I have looked around for a few weeks not but most basic 3.5metre tinny's are going for $1300 for just the hull and then to get the trailer and motor and fuel tank and life jackets and oars it all adds up. I was only going to use this on dams etc.

I was going to offer the guy $800. is there anything that dosen't look right? I thought to get away $800-$1000 for a boat, motor, and tailer with rego was good?

I do realise it is a bit banged up, but hey gotta start somewhere.

I didn't really want to spend so much money to start with, one because I want to keep the wife happy and 2 for an item I may not get to use often, I dont want that money just sitting there.

Edited by Bez

Hi, the only thing that does not look right is that flusher will not work on that engine. They need a specific flusher for these age Johnos and Evinrudes. Other than that is you get $800 good buying and those engines are great outboards and heaps still running around. I hope you realise it is a late 1970's engine and i would be guessing hull too, but as long as she runs fine and has been looked after she has many years left in her.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, the only thing that does not look right is that flusher will not work on that engine. They need a specific flusher for these age Johnos and Evinrudes. Other than that is you get $800 good buying and those engines are great outboards and heaps still running around. I hope you realise it is a late 1970's engine and i would be guessing hull too, but as long as she runs fine and has been looked after she has many years left in her.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Guys

Thanks for that info Huey, At least I know where to get my next boat now too. I spoke to him today and he was a very nice old gentleman and I bought it for $900 as he has just had the motor serviced and all hoses and fittings replaced. the prop looked good. and it comes with 2 life jackets, 2 anchors, new rope etc. so all in all I am fairly happy and I will most likely spend more to get it the way I want. See you on the water! (YAY! I'm not not shore bound now!)

Cheers

Ben

Thanks guys, it doesn't look like much yet but I am handy with paint and I have a Vinyl Cutter and can cut out a nice little design to put on the side.

I have a few friends who can tig weld too so I think I will end up with a decent first boat. I will definetly document everything and turn this ugly duckling into a more functional and slightly less ugly duckling

It has 12 bloody rod holders on the thing too lol, I think I might remove a few for the moment lol and put a flat floor in the centre and storage and anchor well up front and a false floor in the back to cover the fuel tank and esky lol ok ok maybe I am dreaming but we will see how we go.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

Good onya Ben, mate you'll love it, I have had 4 of those lttle set ups, they were a lot of fun and caught heaps of fish in them, you can get into all the nooks and cranny's, easy to maintain and won't cost you much to up keep.. :thumbup: