How To Test Run A Boat?

TheDon

Hi Raiders,

I'd like to ask for some advice from you experienced boaters.

I am considering to buying a 5m quintrex runabout boat and the owner has agreed to take me for a test run in the water.

It is my first boat and I don't really know what to look for during the test run to ensure it is running as it should. Can anyone please give me some advice as to how we should put it through it's paces and what issues I should look out for.

Thanks

TheDon

Check that all is in working order including instruments / electronics etc. Check the trim operates properly while underway, check to see if the engine is cold before the owner puts it in the water to see how well it starts when cold. Run it both at slow speed and full throttle and listen / feel to see if the engines hesitates at all. Do some research before you go as to what revs and knots it should reach at full thottle if the the boat has the instruments check that these match up on the water.

I'll leave it at that as there are many other guys here better qualified then me to help you out.

Good luck.

Check that all is in working order including instruments / electronics etc. Check the trim operates properly while underway, check to see if the engine is cold before the owner puts it in the water to see how well it starts when cold. Run it both at slow speed and full throttle and listen / feel to see if the engines hesitates at all. Do some research before you go as to what revs and knots it should reach at full thottle if the the boat has the instruments check that these match up on the water.

I'll leave it at that as there are many other guys here better qualified then me to help you out.

Good luck.

Don All good points from Bleeding Green. In addition check out the stability when at rest , especially with 2 guys leaning over one side.

The other is to check the ride when heading into a decent wave chop at speed. All boats are great in calm water but it can be a different story when heading into a 15 knot plus wind

Geoff

In addition to above.

Take it out on the worst day weather wise to get a real world feel on how it handles.

Sit it straight into the wind and turn motors off in the middle of north and south head on a run out tide and see what happens....

You take the plug out when it's back on the trailer to see if any water comes out after it's been in there for a while.

Check dates on things like inflatable vests, flares and provisions if included.

Good luck and happy boating.

G

Here is my own little list , in addition to the above :

Transom Check that it is sound , that all motor mounting bolts are tight , and well sealed. Look for cracks or stress marks. Grab the motor by the leg , and try to move it up and down. There should be no flex.

Engine Start at the top and work your way down .Look for evidence of oil leaks ,check each propeller blade for shape , nicks etc. Make sure it turns truly , best place to look is where the hub enters the lower leg casing . Check cotter pin or other locking device is in place and tight on retaining nut . Remove cowling , and have a look at the engine proper.Look for signs of water and oil leaks , rust , or soot around the exhaust.Check that the wiring is in good condition , also look for corrosion on any terminals.Grab flywheel , and try to move it side to side , as well as fore and aft.Any free play could indicate worn crankshaft bearings , these can be costly to replace. As mentioned above , start the engine from cold , when running , see how much water is being pumped from tell tale. A weak stream could indicate a worn impeller . If the engine is an older 2 stroke , some blue smoke is to be expected , but this should virtually disappear when the engine is warm. Check for smooth running , RPMs should be constant at all throttle settings. On most 2 stroke engines , WOT (Wide Open Throttle) should be between 5200 and 5500 RPMs.( In the water , do not race the engine without load .)Check that all pivot points and steering arms have clean grease , and operate smoothly. If possible , start the engine in the water. Some engines will start fine in the driveway , but exhibit problems starting/running in the water.

Hull Start your checks from the bottom , and work your way up. Check that the keel is straight , it should run true fore to aft . Look for cracks and scratches , a few scratches here and there are normal , look for deep gouges which might indicate rough handling , or being run aground.

Any stress cracks should be investigated more thoroughly , as these typically become worse with time. Any railings should also be checked ,they should have no freeplay , look for stress cracks where they are attached to the hull. Check cleats , once again ensure they are tight , and free from stress cracks where they are attached.Check that any flooring is sound , lift carpet if possible and check for soundness of the floor. Anything that moves , or opens and closes , should also be checked. Check the the bung fittings are well sealed. When you remove the boat from the water , remove the bungs , and see how much water runs out .

Controls Check steering is smooth through the full range , full left to full right . Throttle should be smooth , both through full forward to full reverse. DO NOT try this without the engine running . Check that electric trim ( if fitted ) operates smoothly from full up to full down. If visible , check rams for oil leaks. Make sure all lights work , and that all switchgear is operational. Check that bilge pump ( if fitted) is operational. Check radios , sounders for correct operation.

Thats about all I can think of for the present , Im sure other members will post what I have forgotten.

Ross

Edited by Flightmanager