Tyres Leaking Around Rims?

Dezmo

The boat's had a completely flat tyre for a few weeks. Before that it had a slow leak and I was just topping it up with the compressor before taking it out.

Anyway, I got around to jacking it up and put soapy water all around the tyre. I was expecting to find a nail in the tyre tread but all I could see was small bubbles coming around from where the rim joins the tyre. Why would it be leaking from here? Do I need to reset the bead or something? What do you think?? Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it!?

Cheers

Ben

When you pull most trailer tyres off they have a bit of corrosion or salt build up inside the rim.

Its a good idea to have them stripped off and a have a good going over with a wire brush every year.

Dave

The boat's had a completely flat tyre for a few weeks. Before that it had a slow leak and I was just topping it up with the compressor before taking it out.

Why would it be leaking from here? Do I need to reset the bead or something? What do you think?? Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it!?

Cheers

Ben

Ben I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Thinking I had picked up a nail , removed the wheel & off to my local tyre store.

They checked , no nail it was leaking around the rim. They indicated this was not an uncommon problem especially for trailer wheels left standing in one spot for periods of time.

They removed the tyre , there was no rust. Wire brushed the sealing lip inside of the rim , applied a black sealent , refitted the tyre & now all is OK.

Suggest a trip to your local tyre store

Geoff

Thanks for all of your replies. The rim doesnt look particularly corroded but what your saying definitely makes sense. Out with the tyre irons and steel brush it is then. Might see if repco has this black sealant stuff.

Hi Dezmo - as the guys said it is normally caused by salt / rust buildup on the rim which causes a poor seal - A good clean with a wire brush will quickly fix the problem. A word of advice - Try and keep the tyre tubeless (don't fit a tube) -if you get a puncture with a tube the tyre goes flat immediately whereas a tubeless steel belted radial tyre will tend to be self sealing around a nail etc and maintain pressure and vehicle control.

I have been in the industry a long time and always fit quality light truck radial tyres to my boat trailers. ( I am perturbed at some of the low quality, rubbish tyres that are fitted to trailers holding very expensive boats.) Apart from the additional strength / rigidty of a the LT tyres you will find that the trailer tracks better with greatly reduced sway etc. :bicycle:

regards Bill

Out with the tyre irons and steel brush it is then. Might see if repco has this black sealant stuff.

The repair cost for mine was $20 plus 10 min at the tyre shop. A lot easier & about the same cost as finding then buying the sealant.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Anyway, I got around to jacking it up and put soapy water all around the tyre. I was expecting to find a nail in the tyre tread but all I could see was small bubbles coming around from where the rim joins the tyre. Why would it be leaking from here? Do I need to reset the bead or something? What do you think?? Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it!?

Cheers

Ben

just out of curiosity, is it a steel rim or a alloy rim that the problem has occurred?