Older Rod & Reel - Advice Required

I have a rod & reel from around 1985 that I used for trolling & bottom bashing. They were used regularly for a few years and then left to sit in a garage. The reel has been recently serviced and declared to be in top nick.

The reel is a Daiwa Sealine 350H.

The rod is an Ugly Stick - Gutts But 10kg. It is about 6'6" with a roller tip & what I think are ceramic guides & a gimble butt.

Attached are photos of the specs on the rod.

I want to use this to troll Broken Bay & specifically to troll for Kings. This setup seems a fair bit 'heavy' by todays standards, yet the idea of using 10kg line is very light for what I have in mind.

I have landed stripeys/bonito/small yellowfin & small sharks with ease with 10kg mono on this previously.

I was thinking of spooling it with 10kg mono again.

Any recommendations or thoughts appreciated.

post-11562-126862160413_thumb.jpg

post-11562-126862161598_thumb.jpg

Myocard that's a classic of an ugly stik you've got hold of there and probably the sportiest light to medium game rod you could ever get your hands on without paying an arm and a leg I'd say and the Diawa Sealine is a power house of a reel and although a bit on the slow side for everything jigged for, it would be a more specific combo for stop and start slow jigging for kingfish and to use as a jew rod and raising and dropping your biggest bait back into a hole every now and then.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I agree with Jewgaffer - but I would consider using braid as you should get more line on your reel

Mate before you put braid on it you better make sure the guides can handle it. Also i wouldn't put braid on it even if i could, but thats my preference.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a pre-braid setup & I wont be casting at all with it - this was some of the thinking behind filling the reel with decent mono. The ability of mono to withstand some abrasion, and the costs also come into it. I hadn't considered that the guides may not be suitable - this would rule braid out if it's the case.

I'm in no rush - looks like a crabbing / bream fishing weekend for me at this stage.

Cheers