Overhead Reel (Help)

mC1988

im new to fishing is currently doing Landbase fishing. im thinking of getting an overhead with guide because i currently dont have enough knowledge to use it and i dun have a machine to put the line in. also i want something with lots of line eg a overhead capacity of at least 100lb braid of over 500m. thinking of 345Gt2 penn at the moment. any suggestions people? because comment. thanks in advance

What sort of fishing are you doing; casting, livebaiting? 500m of 100lb braid is an unusual choice (and an expensive one)! Are you sure braid is the best choice. TLDs aren't really casting reels. Also with line that heavy you run the risk of pulling the graphite frame out of alignment and thereby damaging the gears.

PS: some people run with braid on the bottom of the reel and a topshot of mono (say 100m) for casting/ fishing with. This way if you get a big runner you have more line capacity due to the fine diammeter braid backing.

What sort of fishing are you doing; casting, livebaiting? 500m of 100lb braid is an unusual choice (and an expensive one)! Are you sure braid is the best choice. TLDs aren't really casting reels. Also with line that heavy you run the risk of pulling the graphite frame out of alignment and thereby damaging the gears.

PS: some people run with braid on the bottom of the reel and a topshot of mono (say 100m) for casting/ fishing with. This way if you get a big runner you have more line capacity due to the fine diammeter braid backing.

live yellowtails on a 8 foot rod at avoca for kingie and tunas

live yellowtails on a 8 foot rod at avoca for kingie and tunas

The Shimano Trynos is worth a look. It doesn't have a level wind though, but it is not hard at all to lay the line with your thumb.

PS: I don't think 100lb braid is a good choice. No one is strong enough to fish 100lb on a 8ft rod off the rocks. I'd go for 30 or 50lb mono, either straight through or some braid on the bottom (of a similar strength) to boost capacity.

G'day amC,

For livebaiting land based I'd stick with mono. Tuna play up near the rocks and kings just play up... one touch of rock on braid and it's good night. With mono you at least have some leeway.

You won't be able to fish anything like close to the breaking strain of 100lb line, even if the reel would take it (it wouldn't). Some people fish 37kg off the rocks but for most, the practical limit is 24kg. Given that you've said you're new to the game, I'd start out with 15kg... fighting a fish on 24 isn't easy on the rocks and if you don't keep your wits about you, either you or your outfit or both could end up in the suds.

The 345Gti has a graphite frame that wouldn't survive really heavy drag pressure. The frame will distort and you'll quickly wear out or even blow up the internals if you tried to fish big drags. Level wind mechanisms aren't a great idea in that sort of scenario either. Just imagine how much lateral pressure would be put on the level wind if it and your line get out of sync while fighting a big fish. Not an unlikely situation and a recipe for losing the fish of a lifetime.

You'd be a lot better off getting yourself a Shimano TLD... they have stronger frames, although if you start seriously getting into it, a Penn Inter, Shimano Tiagra or similar would be the best choice. Learning to wind the line on evenly is really simple. It's just a matter of guiding it back and forth across the spool with the thumb of your left hand as you retrieve line.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day amC,

For livebaiting land based I'd stick with mono. Tuna play up near the rocks and kings just play up... one touch of rock on braid and it's good night. With mono you at least have some leeway.

You won't be able to fish anything like close to the breaking strain of 100lb line, even if the reel would take it (it wouldn't). Some people fish 37kg off the rocks but for most, the practical limit is 24kg. Given that you've said you're new to the game, I'd start out with 15kg... fighting a fish on 24 isn't easy on the rocks and if you don't keep your wits about you, either you or your outfit or both could end up in the suds.

The 345Gti has a graphite frame that wouldn't survive really heavy drag pressure. The frame will distort and you'll quickly wear out or even blow up the internals if you tried to fish big drags. Level wind mechanisms aren't a great idea in that sort of scenario either. Just imagine how much lateral pressure would be put on the level wind if it and your line get out of sync while fighting a big fish. Not an unlikely situation and a recipe for losing the fish of a lifetime.

You'd be a lot better off getting yourself a Shimano TLD... they have stronger frames, although if you start seriously getting into it, a Penn Inter, Shimano Tiagra or similar would be the best choice. Learning to wind the line on evenly is really simple. It's just a matter of guiding it back and forth across the spool with the thumb of your left hand as you retrieve line.

Cheers, Slinky

i want to get a penn inter but heard its made from china now. I live in sydney and dun know where if there is any store that sells penn inter and how much its would cost me and etc. As we online shop i seen it for around $600, dunno if i should buy one off online shop.

As much as I'm a fan of getting the best gear you can afford, If you're uncertain at all about whether you'll get into LBG long term, a TLD might be a more sensible option $$ wise. They're good reels and you see a lot of them on the rocks and on game boats around the country.

Cheers, Slinky