Water In Fuel Tanks

casper

Hi Raiders,

I have now suffered from water in my underfloor fuel tanks for the second time in 12 months. Is the cause pruely because it has sat for a time without a full tank? This time it had a 3/4 full tank and was only sitting around for 5 weeks? last time was several months through winter with 1/4 tank. I never had a problem beofre with my old boat and it's plastic tanks even though they sat around not full for god knows how long at times.

I only buy my fuel from a trusted service station where I fill my car, the boat is a 4.8 quinny coast runner with a 90ltr tank running a 75hp Mariner.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Have a look at the placement of your underfloor tank breathers and filler.

It might be rain water, sea spray, spray of a transducer/live bait tank pick up or slop from the swell running along the deck or coamings and into the breathers or a poorly fitting fuel filler cap.

Changing the angle of the breather fittings or re-routing the breather hose so its got a upwards slope (above the breather outlet) may also prevent water running down it due to gravity.

Parking your boat at a different angle at home might be enough to prevent it from happening.

If you dont already have one, get a external fuel filter with a clear water catching bowl and tap at the bottom. Mount it somewhere prominant and visually check it every trip.

cheers

Rod

G,day Luke

My boat is a Quintrex Freedom Sport 460,i've been through the same thing....it drives me insane when im looking forward to a day of fishing and the Yammy starts coughing as soon as i leave the boat ramp.I've tested the fuel filler for leaks and disconnected the breather hoses at the tank and shot water at them with the hose to see if water can get in but....nothing.Because the boat lives outside uncovered i've narrowed it down to either condensation or a pin hole in the top of the tank.To save spoiling a day of fishing...the day before i always disconnect the fuel line at the motor and use the primer to pump fuel into a glass jar to make sure theres pure fuel there,then i remove the fuel filter under the transom and empty the contents into a clear container....theres always water in there without fail.Don't forget to fill the filter with fresh fuel before screwing it back on....this method hasn't failed me yet.....hope this helps

Cheers.Pete