Sydney Harbour.

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

I was procrastinating last night about going out today as I was feeling a bit crook. I thought I would perservere, and wouldn't you know it, I went fishing and came back cured! FISHING...The elixir of life!

Hit Rose Bay ramp at a very late 6:00 AM, and joined the queue to launch. As everyone was getting their boats ready, I ducked in and launched before the other guys were ready to go. :thumbup:

Straight over to Clifton to try and get some squid, but they werent playing the game. :thumbdown: Tried for Yakkas, and all I kept getting was juvi snapper. :wacko: Tried a couple of other places, and finally found some yakkas at the island in front of Balmoral. Loaded up, and went to try and convert them to Kingies! :yahoo:

Over to North Head, sounded for the drop off, and found tonnes of bait fish below. With a stiff breeze, and a fair current running, positioning the boat was a bitch! Had some frozen squid as back up, so squid went to the bottomw, with a yakka going under a float. I have never tried to fish livies under a float so I thought I would try. But all it achieved was tangling my other line. :thumbdown:

Anyway....Freed the line, and then free-spooled the livie back down.....1 meter.....2 meter.....3....4.....BANG It got slammed! WOOHOO...I was on! Fumbled around a bit as the reel was still free-spooling, but finally got some drag on. Ran for all of 10 seconds...and pulled the hook!

Next livey went down...and got slammed within 10 seconds of hitting the water! :1naughty: I was on a roll! Again fumbling to get the drag engaged, and applied pressure! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz....don't you just love that sound!

Everytime I would get him close to the boat he would take of on another blistering run! WOOHOO.....This is fun! After about 5 minutes I finally boated him. My first solo Kingy. :yahoo: What a buzz!

post-4-1113630452_thumb.jpg

He went 55 CM, happy snap...and release.

Livey down again. This time I kept the reel in gear...and pulled line of the spool. My double hadn't even cleared the rod when SLAM....I was on again! 3 baits 3 strikes! Doesnt get much better than that! :biggrin2:

This one felt bigger...and ran harder. He kept swinging over toward my anchor rope, and I was getting flustered. I could just see him wrapping me on my own anchor. Not a good look. I tried something I had never tried, and didn't think it would actually work. But I backed of....and he turned! What they IS true! Back of a King, and he goes docile. Got him back to open water and he went straight down!...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....If he kept going I'm sure he would reef me! So I backed of again! And again he turned!

10 minutes later, I had boated my PB Kingy! :yahoo:

post-4-1113630815_thumb.jpg

He went 65 CM.

At this stage I went a bit soft. The Kings have been a very illusive species for me. My first was only a couple of months ago, under the awesome instructions of Pedro...Thanks mate. And I have been trying to catch them for nearly 2 years. I had finally scored a legal Kingy, but I honestly couldn't bring myself to keep it! :biggrin2: So again...happy snap...and release!

What a buzz this morning was! After the wind began picking up at about 10:30, I moved to the eastern Wedding Cake, and pulled a few decent Leatheries, but they weren't the same after pulling 2 Kings! All the Leatheries were released as well.

Hope everyone else that went out today had as good a time as I did!

Great stuff Joe :thumbup:

I havent had much experience with kings, but I'm keen to learn :thumbup:

interesting theory that ..........the backing off and they stop running :wacko:

they seem like crafty buggers when I throw a bait in front of them :biggrin2:

but Very well done mate

Nice one Joe :1clap:

I bet now you will thinking bigger.....hoolum maybe?

I did not go out today as I needed a day of sleep after a big week at work. I had been tossing up weather to go out tonight after a jew or early tommorrow on the Harbour. Now since I have not got a legal king this season your report has fired me up and I will be out early Sunday to get me one of those!

alex

Guest Jocool

Thanks for the kind words guys! :yahoo: Even after washing the boat and tackle, I'm still buzzing!

Nice one Joe :1clap:

I bet now you will thinking bigger.....hoolum maybe?

42730[/snapback]

Defenitely want a bigger model Alex! :1clap:

interesting theory that ..........the backing off and they stop running :wacko:

42729[/snapback]

I read it somewhere I think. I always thought that its a crock...but it works. I wasn't going to try it. Who in their right mind would back down on a hard running fish???? :1prop:

Guest Jocool
Nice work Joe. It's good to see there's still stoppable kings in the harbour.  :biggrin2:

42737[/snapback]

I was hoping for the other variety Andrew! :074::074:

Guest Jocool
How is the boat going now?

42756[/snapback]

Boats is going great now Ken. Just needed a service. :thumbup:

All it needs now is....

*Install console.

*Hydraulic steering.

*Alloy Targa

*Outriggers.....

I could go on all night! :074::074::074:

Guest Jocool
Hey Mate

What weight line were u using for those kings ??

cheers

gabzi

42784[/snapback]

Gabzi...I was fishing a TLD loaded with 10KG line. I know it sounds heavy...But I been smashed in the harbour too many times by kings. I have been done over on 15KG a few times! :1yikes:

Good to hear Jocool is back on Sydney Harbour and what a come back :1yikes: .

Congrats mate on the PB and the champ spirit of letting em fight another day. Good one Joe!!! I still think that you should write a book or at least for a mag. Great report.

Wombat :1fishing1:

Good onya Joe

Its fun trying to hold a landing net in one hand and kingie loaded rod in the other eh? Glad to hear you got amongst some Harbour Kings. Strange how most guys reckon you need fresh or live squid for Kings . Personally I have had the best days using yakkas. Plus their easier and quicker to catch. Hope to be on the harbour myself on Thursday, hope thers a few left for me.

John

Guest Jocool
Does anyone  have any GPS cordiantes for good fishing spots in the harbour ??

cheers

gabzi

42810[/snapback]

Gabzi...No co-ordinates needed mate. Just use your sounder, and find the spots that have a decent drop-off. IE the water goes from say 10 to 14 meters. You will always find fishing holding against the drop-off. Alternatively, look for little peaks on a flat area. That should hold fish on one side of it depending on the current flow. And your 8 KG should be fine!

Guest fishrunner

Well done joe, great catch :1clap: , another spot worth a go is off the gap(sth head), bout 500mtrs out, and the headland immediately sth of there. Ussually put a yakka out on a float (3-4mtr) drop- 30 to 40 mtres behind boat and a squid down near bottom below boat,- squid ussually goes of 1st, best I've got is 86cm on 15kg, and Ive been done on a few occasions(freespooling can definitely help sometimes). The 1st and every other kingie you get is always a buzz. There's a bigger one out there with your name on it, now that you've got your 1st. Well done again,

cheers

well done Joe on your first solo legal :thumbup:

More pressure u apply the more they fight but that just makes it more fun. I always have at least 2 king baits in the water and when I hook one and get it near the top and away from danger I quickly wind the second rod in the holder up so I can just see the bait. It will usually get slammed by another fish in the school before I get the first in the boat. Great fun on your own :thumbup:

Guest Jocool
If you take charters I'm actually in the market for a guide to take me fishing sydney harbour?!?!?!?  :thumbup:

43038[/snapback]

I couldn't take your money JD!

I aint no expert...it was probably pure arse. But I'm happy! :1clap: May be going out solo on Saturday again if your interested mate! :thumbup: