Woolooware Bay 20/3/10

mako1

I hit the water at about 6am and put the lures in straight away and began trolling.

I decided to troll around a couple of moored boats before I hit the racks as I haven’t fished them for awhile. I passed the first boat and as the lures passed the back of the boat the rod with the small scorpion screams off. As I picked the first rod up the second rod screams off with a much better fish on it. It actually swung the kayak around as it made a run back to the boat.

I worked the first fish to the kayak and it was a nice bream close to 30cm.

I then grabbed the second rod and luckily the fish was still on. This was a good fish and it was fighting really well. I backed the drag off as the fish got close to the kayak. I finally sighted it and it was a beautiful bream. After a few more lunges I finally netted it. It was a good fish around the 40cm mark.

post-2229-126908963902_thumb.jpg

post-2229-126908964941_thumb.jpg

I trolled the boats a bit more but I only picked up a few more small bream.

I continued on to the racks but I didn’t get any more fish on the troll.

The first stretch of racks didn’t produce a fish so I moved on. I finally had a strike on the popper and I pulled in the first bream from the surface for the day.

post-2229-126908965802_thumb.jpg

I continued on and picked up another 27cm bream. I moved on and went deeper into the racks where I missed a strike from a really good bream. The tide was rising and slowly covering the racks so I was casting directly over the racks with the popper. On one retrieve the popper was smashed on the surface. I locked up and it was a tug of war bringing it back to the kayak but I finally landed it. It was a nice bream around the 30cm mark.

post-2229-126908967067_thumb.jpg

I continued working the racks but I didn’t get any more hits on the poppers or pencils so I moved onto the flats. I worked the pencils and poppers but I only got some hits from small fish so I changed to HBs. I was twitching the HBs on the flats and I hooked up to a good bream but the hooks pulled next to the kayak when it made one last dive. I hooked another good bream on a HB but it wrapped me up in a clump of weed. I did manage to get the lure back.

The wind picked up so I decided to troll on the flats. There were heaps of just undersized flatties around but I finally had a good hit. The fish screamed off but luckily it didn’t find any clumps of weed. I worked it back to the kayak and soon had a nice bream in the net around the 36cm mark.

post-2229-126908968033_thumb.jpg

I didn’t get any more fish on the flats so I made my way back to the launch site. I trolled along the way and picked up another bream around the 30cm mark.

It was a great day on the water but I think that the surface fishing is tapering off as today there was a lot of casts between fish.

post-2229-126908968907_thumb.jpg

Mako - another great report and well done with the Bream in Woolooware Bay today. I also tried the Oyster Racks in Woolooware today (from 9:30 - 11:15am) for a good 30cm bream and many missed hits :ranting2: ..... I also had a number of surface strikes by small flatties on the shallow flats. You are right though regarding the surface bite quietening and I might need to start using my HBs more. I found the bream came off the bite at around 11:15 am and decided to go home. I had a look around for you, however you could not see your kayak.

Another terrific report Andrew :thumbup: I think you're right mate. The water temp is definitely starting to cool and the surface action will taper off with it :( Well done on a very nice bag of fish.

Cheers

Ian

very nice!!

i went to try hd near kurnell

3 flatheads 1 of them 60cm

lost 1 lure in the end ........

really geting into the hard bodies now. got a few coming online.

hats of to you and the bream,

kurnell/stix didn't produce any bream as it was low tide plus the water was so clear

thanks for your help andrew!

Andrew, I got your message too late and thought you may have been out there today...you cleaned up again yesterday...well done WB master! I got a taste of the big bream today so I'm still keen to join you out there soon.

Some nice bream there

We saw plenty of bream feeding on the boats in WB last monday and managed a few dead drifting gulp minnows on hiddenweights

A hint for surface fishing as the water cools is to use surface SPs such as pink grubs squidgy lobbies and bugs

Mako - another great report and well done with the Bream in Woolooware Bay today. I also tried the Oyster Racks in Woolooware today (from 9:30 - 11:15am) for a good 30cm bream and many missed hits :ranting2: ..... I also had a number of surface strikes by small flatties on the shallow flats. You are right though regarding the surface bite quietening and I might need to start using my HBs more. I found the bream came off the bite at around 11:15 am and decided to go home. I had a look around for you, however you could not see your kayak.

I didn't see your boat either. At that time I was right in the racks on the western side of the bay. I moved onto the flats at the back of the bay at about 12pm.

Give the HBs a go next time after you finish fishing the surface as the bream seem to be going for them at the moment especially on the flats that are next to the racks.

very nice!!

i went to try hd near kurnell

3 flatheads 1 of them 60cm

lost 1 lure in the end ........

really geting into the hard bodies now. got a few coming online.

hats of to you and the bream,

kurnell/stix didn't produce any bream as it was low tide plus the water was so clear

thanks for your help andrew!

No worries cj.

Good to hear that you are getting some nice fish on HBs.

Andrew, I got your message too late and thought you may have been out there today...you cleaned up again yesterday...well done WB master! I got a taste of the big bream today so I'm still keen to join you out there soon.

No worries Rob. Well done on the bream.

I won't be out next weekend as I have to work but I should be out the weekend after.

I'll let you know which day I'm planning to go out.

Some nice bream there

We saw plenty of bream feeding on the boats in WB last monday and managed a few dead drifting gulp minnows on hiddenweights

A hint for surface fishing as the water cools is to use surface SPs such as pink grubs squidgy lobbies and bugs

Thanks for the hint.

I bought some of those plastics at the end of last year but I haven't tried them yet

as the poppers and pencils have been working so well.

I'll make sure to give them a go next time I'm out.